NAGPUR, INDIA // Police will maintain tight security for the fourth and final Test against Australia following TV news reports of a threat targeting Sachin Tendulkar. The Nagpur police commissioner Pravin Dixit rejected reports of a new threat to India's star batsman and record Test run getter, but said authorities worked on the presumption that anything was possible after a threat from militant organisations was received by federal agencies a few years ago.
"There will be tight security as usual, but there's no new threat," Mr Dixit said. "The centre (federal government) had issued an advisory a few years ago, but at present there is no threat. "Security is always tight." Indian TV reports said federal intelligence agencies had sent a high alert after intercepting communications mentioning "Sachin". Tendulkar became the highest run scorer in Test cricket history earlier in the series, which India leads 1-0 ahead of the fourth and last match starting on Thursday.