The Indian ground cannot host the India v England match even as Wankhede Stadium, the venue in Mumbai for the final, and other Sri Lankan grounds get the nod.
The International Cricket Council has ruled out Kolkata's Eden Gardens hosting next month's World Cup match between India and England due to delays in renovation work, the ruling body has said in a statement.
Jagmohan Dalmiya, former ICC president and currently president of the Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB), which is in charge of the stadium, earlier expressed confidence of making the cut but barred the entry for media yesterday during the inspection.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) must now decide on an alternative venue for the February 27 match.
"We will work with the new venue, the tour operators and the ticket distributors to manage the logistical challenges that will surely arise," tournament director Ratnakar Shetty said.
A committee report approved three Sri Lanka venues, Colombo, Hambantota and Pallekele, and Mumbai's Wankhede Stadium, the venue for the final, subject to minor finishing work being completed.
The report, however, said Eden Gardens would not be ready within an acceptable time frame to host the match between India and England.
"Of particular concern was the fact that host venue obligations in relation to cricket operations, media, broadcast and sponsorship facilities were not inalised and/or confirmed by the venue," the ICC said.
ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat said all venues had had ample time to prepare for the World Cup matches. "We had been understanding and had provided extensions to the deadline dates but unfortunately we are now at a point where we must carefully manage our risks," Lorgat said.
"Sadly, Eden Gardens in Kolkata was unable to meet the final deadline date of January 25.
"Regrettably, Eden Gardens has not made sufficient progress to justify the level of confidence required to confirm that the venue would be ready in good time. This was no easy decision to take and while it is most unfortunate, it is absolutely necessary."
Eden Gardens is scheduled to host three more World Cup matches on March 15, 18 and 20.
The CAB joint secrretary Biswarup Dey insisted it was confident of finishing all stadium-related work by February 5. "We have still not received any official communication from anyone. Nobody knows any specific reason why the match had to be shifted," CAB Dey said over the phone.
"We had told the ICC that we will complete all construction work by Jan 31 and all works related to interiors by Feb 5."