Mark Boucher's medical team are cautiously optimistic the former South Africa wicketkeeper will have a "reasonable recovery" of the vision in his left eye.
The 35 year old had to leave the Test tour of England following the injury he suffered when a bail hit him in the eye in a tour match against the English county side Somerset at Taunton earlier this month. Boucher, who would have made his 150th Test appearance during the tour, has since retired from international cricket because of the seriousness of the injury.
Following an emergency operation in England, he flew home and last week underwent a second procedure in Cape Town - while his former teammates were beginning a three-Test series against England at The Oval, which they won by an innings and 12 runs on Monday.
Cricket South Africa reported after the latest procedure that the outcome looked "very positive."
"Mark is currently in the recuperation stage after recent surgery to his left eye," Boucher's doctor Peter Sandell, said in a statement which was issued on the player's behalf by Cricket South Africa.
"Due to the severity of the injury, as well as the pain related to the recent lengthy surgical procedure, Mark has been strictly housebound. While it is impossible to predict the long-term outcome of Mark's eye injury, his medical team are nevertheless cautiously optimistic that he will have a reasonable recovery of the vision in his left eye.
"Over the next three to six months, Mark will undergo further surgery procedures in an attempt to improve his vision."
Boucher's manager, Donne Commins, said the player had been unable to respond to well-wishers but was thankful for all the messages of support he had received.
Follow us @SprtNationalUAE