Edgbaston was the scene of a huge security operation yesterday after a hoax bomb threat caused panic in Birmingham. A whole section of the ground was cordoned off by stewards while sniffer dogs were used to search a stand during the lunch-break. Security guards stepped up their presence around the players changing rooms before the threat was dismissed. "Authorities were keen to secure a particular area of the ground. I understand there has been no suspicious package found," an England spokesman said. Australia's last visit to England was blighted by terrorist attacks on the London Underground in the capital four years ago. The team were also believed to be targets for al Qa'eda, although this information was not disclosed until the players returned home.
- Vengeful Kevin Pietersen is what Delhi Daredevils would love to see
- Rahane inspires Rajasthan Royals in low-scoring tie against Sunrisers Hyderabad
- All is well with Punjab as Maxwell and Miller seal win against Chennai
- In pictures: IPL 7 action at Sharjah Cricket Stadium
- England’s Jonathan Trott sidelined with stress-related illness again
- Bangalore get off to a perfect start against Delhi at Sharjah
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Amir Khan says bout with Luis Collazo ‘will steal the show’ in Las Vegas on May 3
- Packed house gathers in Abu Dhabi for Indian Premier League opener
- In pictures: Shah Rukh Khan stars at IPL Gala dinner in Abu Dhabi
- Carlos Tevez denies reports of rift with Lionel Messi keeping him out of Argentina squad
- Liverpool embark on title advance at Norwich City
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- History shines light on the true borders of Palestine
- Reduce speed limit buffer on UAE roads, experts urge
- American ‘has UAE Embassy documents’ to back up medicinal marijuana claim
- Nakheel to sell plots for hotels and resorts on Dubai’s Deira Islands
- UAE’s healthcare system must grant equitable access to all
All is well with Punjab as Maxwell and Miller seal win against Chennai
The Australian missed out on a century but his 95 runs, along with Miller's unbeaten half-century, ensured Kings XI scaled a mighty peak of a target in a hot first game of Abu Dhabi's double-header.
Sunderland going out of Premier League with a grumble
Northeast club have underwhelmed during seven-year stay in the top flight
Hamburg the dinosaur’s time may be up in Bundesliga
Ever-present for 51 years in the German top-flight, Hamburg face the prospect of relegation, writes Ian Hawkey.
Garcia seeks fresh challenge in MMA after her jiu-jitsu domination
Brazilian prides being a lioness in the sport but feels she can shed 25kg weight to pursue her MMA debut aspirations.
England’s Jonathan Trott sidelined with stress-related illness again
Jonathan Trott is to take a second break from professional cricket because of his stress-related illness as England and Wales Cricket Board and Warwickshire confirmed he will stop playing with immediate effect.
‘That’s why we are a top club’ says Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech
Jose Mourinho’s men will temporarily claim the Premier League top spot if they beat Sunderland, leaving them in control of their own destiny in the title race ahead of a crucial trip to face Liverpool at Anfield on April 27.