Warner pleaded guilty to breaching Cricket Australia's code of behaviour during the incident, which occurred in Birmingham's Walkabout theme pub in the early hours of Sunday morning following England's 48-run win over their old rivals at Edgbaston.
Warner had faced the possibility of being sent home and missing the remainder of the English summer, but despite being banned from the remainder of the ICC Champions Trophy and both Ashes warm-up matches, he will be available for the series opener at Trent Bridge next month.
The disciplinary hearing, which took place via teleconference, was chaired by Justice Gordon Lewis, CA's senior code of behaviour commissioner.
A statement released by the governing body read: "Cricket Australia advises that David Warner has been suspended and fined for breaching the Cricket Australia Code of Behaviour.
"At a hearing tonight, Warner pleaded guilty to breaching Rule 6: Unbecoming Behaviour. CA Senior Code of Behaviour Commissioner, The Hon. Justice Gordon Lewis AM, fined A$11,500 and suspended from the remainder of Australia's ICC Champions Trophy campaign as well as the Australian team's two tour matches before the first Ashes Test against Somerset and Worcestershire.
"Warner will be eligible for selection for the first Test."
The punishment makes questionable sporting sense, not least because Warner's chances of making the final XI for the first Test against England will be severely, if not fatally, hampered by his lack of competitive action beforehand.
This is not the first time Australian cricketers are getting into trouble with authorities.
Warner himself 26 year old was last month fined £3,700 (Dh21,315) for a foul-mouthed tweet exchange with two Australian journalists and CA recently banned four players – including vice-captain Shane Watson – from a Test against India for failing to complete a homework assignment.
But on Wednesday, any hint that he may be sent home from England in disgrace had been mitigated slightly by the fact he publicly warmed-up with the side at Edgbaston as well as carrying drinks to teammates as 12th man in the Champions Trophy match against New Zealand, which was abandoned by rain.
George Bailey, the Australia captain, who unintentionally raised smirks when he said Warner had taken news of his dropping "on the chin", also attempted to play down the seriousness.
"It's disappointing from my point of view, but it's a very minor incident and it's being dealt with in-house," he said. "I really enjoy playing cricket with him [Warner]. I love his enthusiasm, I love his energy, I love the way he plays. I'm looking forward to hopefully playing a lot more with him in whatever career I have."
The tone of the England and Wales Cricket Board's official statement was significantly harder.
It read: "The ECB confirms that David Warner initiated an unprovoked physical attack on a member of the England team in a Birmingham bar following England's 48-run victory over Australia.
"Warner has admitted behaving inappropriately and has since apologised to the player involved who has accepted the apology.
"Following a full investigation the England team management has concluded that the England player was in no way responsible for nor retaliated to the attack."
Root, who sustained no injuries and trained happily with England at The Oval on Wednesday, also received the full backing of captain Alastair Cook, who took no issue with a small number of players celebrating their success in a bar.
"We had two days off as a team. When the schedule allows and when it's within certain parameters it's good to let your hair down," said Cook. "We are clearly disappointed that the incident has happened, but after investigating it from our side, we don't believe we have done anything wrong.
"It was unfortunate but he [Root] wants to put it behind him."
Follow us @SprtNationalUAE