Text size:

  • Small
  • Normal
  • Large
Arunima Sinha poses with the Indian flag on Mount Everest.
Arunima Sinha poses with the Indian flag on Mount Everest.
Indian mountaineer Arunima Sinha, the world’s first female amputee to reach the summit of Mount Everest, removes her prosthetic leg near an indoor climbing wall.
Indian mountaineer Arunima Sinha, the world’s first female amputee to reach the summit of Mount Everest, removes her prosthetic leg near an indoor climbing wall.

New happiness for 'the girl with one good leg who conquered Everest'

Arunima Sinha lost a leg after being thrown from a train but not her ambition to do something special in life. Suryatapa Bhattacharya reports

NEW DELHI // Arunima Sinha spends much of her time talking to Indian school girls who see her as an inspirational figure.

"These little girls looking up at me, telling me how they followed my journey, this is a different kind of happiness I cannot describe," said Ms Sinha, 26.

This journey started on April 11, 2011 when robbers threw her off a train. To save her life, doctors had no choice but to amputate her left leg below the knee, which ended a promising volleyball career and her hopes of joining the military. But just two years later she achieved something she thought impossible: she scaled 8,848 metres to stand atop Mount Everest, becoming the "first female amputee in the world to do so.

Since Ms Sinha's return to Lucknow, her home town in Uttar Pradesh, she has been swamped by fans and curious onlookers who have come to "see the girl that climbed Mount Everest with one good leg", said Om Prakash, her brother-in-law.

Ms Sinha wanted to follow in her late father's footsteps and join the army. She says her mother, who works in the health department of Uttar Pradesh, and her sister encouraged her to reach her goal.

"They never thought to stop me," she said, adding that her new ambition is to build an academy that offers free education and sports facilities to poor and physically challenged children.

Ms Sinha recalls the robbery matter-of-factly, saying the event that changed her life "happened within two minutes".

She was traveling from Lucknow to Delhi on the evening train for state-run security force exams when five men attempted to snatch her necklace and purse.

"I was seated by the corner berth in the train. I resisted, they kicked me very hard. I fell out of the train," she said.

She was then hit by a passing train and sustained serious injuries to her pelvis and left leg.

When Ms Sinha was making her way up Everest's treacherous slopes, she drew on her past experiences for strength.

As she neared summit, the oxygen in her tanks was running low and her trainer repeatedly asked her to abandon the ascent.

"I wanted to show the world that fate can play such a cruel joke on you but you can turn your life around," Ms Sinha said. "I could not get it out of my head but I knew I wanted to live a life of dignity after losing my leg. And I wanted to achieve this milestone."

Although Ms Sinha was trailing the six members of her team, she pushed on and on May 21, she reached the summit of the world's tallest mountain.

It was an incredible feat given her lack of mountaineering experience and that just two years before she was lying in a hospital bed, her athletic career seemingly in ruins.

"Everyone was saying her sports career was over," said Mr Prakash. "But right there, even as she was recovering in that hospital bed she was determined to do something with her life. She is very strong."

In the news reports that had followed the attack, police said she had tried to commit suicide or had jumped out of the train to avoid paying a fine for not buying a ticket - claims she vehemntly disputes. And as the police struggled to make headway in the case, the media coverage increased.

Ms Sinha's story then caught the attention of the government and she was moved to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences in New Delhi where she was fitted with a state-of-the-art prosthetic leg.

It was here that she had to learn to walk again.

As news spread of Ms Sinha's injury, the sports fraternity reached out and sent messages of support.

She fondly remembers receiving a message from India's World Cup winning cricketer Yuvraj Singh, who had been diagnosed with a cancerous tumour in his left lung at the same time Ms Sinha was recovering.

"He called me and said that I was a brave sports girl but at that time I did not know about his struggles," said Ms Sinha.

It was only a year later that Ms Sinha heard about Singh's battle with cancer.

"That inspired me. I thought to myself, 'why can't I do something with my life. If a man can battle cancer, I can surely climb a mountain'."

In March last year, Ms Sinha reached out to Bachendri Pal, who in 1984 became the first Indian woman to scale Mount Everest. Ms Sinha started training with Ms Pal at the Tata Steel Adventure Foundation (TSAF) based in Jharkhand state.

Ms Pal heads the initiative led by the Tata Steel Group, which was established 29 years ago with the aim of encouraging adventure sport among Indians.

"We had to help her in every way," said Pervez Phiroz Kapadia, the secretary of TSAF. "You can imagine a non-mountain climber comes, we have to start from the beginning. Physical, mental, spiritual, emotional. Every way."

Although the institute has in the past trained visually impaired and the hearing challenged to climb mountains, it was the first time they had worked with an amputee.

After a year of training, Ms Sinha set off on her ascent of Everest with a trainer, two other mountaineers and three sherpas.

"When we took a break they came to tell me that the whole country was waiting and watching," Ms Sinha said of the sherpas. "That's when I thought, I must do this. I must achieve my goal."


twitter: For breaking news from the Gulf, the Middle East and around the globe follow The National World. Follow us

Back to the top

More articles

Editor's Picks

 Iranian President Hassan Rouhani greets supporters after his arrival in Zahedan, the regional capital of Sistan and Baluchestan province on Tuesday, April 15, 2014. During Mr Rouhani's two-day visit, he will tour several other cities and hold meetings with local scholars and entrepreneurs. Maryam Rahmanian for The National

On the road with Hassan Rouhani

Iran's president is touring some of Iran's most underdeveloped provinces. Foreign correspondent Yeganeh Salehi is traveling with him.

 The Doha-based Youssef Al Qaradawi speaks to the crowd as he leads Friday prayers in Tahrir Square in Cairo, Egypt in February, 2011. The outspoken pro-Muslim Brotherhood imam has been critical of the UAE’s policies toward Islamist groups, adding to friction between Qatar and other GCC states. Khalil Hamra / AP Photo

Brotherhood imam skips Doha sermon, but more needed for GCC to reconcile

That Youssef Al Qaradawi did not speak raises hopes that the spat involving Qatar and the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain might be slowly moving towards a resolution.

 Twitter photo of  Abdel Fattah El Sisi on the campaign trail on March 30. Photo courtesy-Twitter/@SisiCampaign

El Sisi rides a bicycle, kicks off social media storm

The photos and video created a huge buzz across social media networks, possibly a marker of a new era for Egypt.

 An Afghan election commission worker carries a ballot box at a vote counting centre in Jalalabad on April 6. A roadside bomb hit a truck carrying full ballot boxes in northern Afghanistan, killing three people a day after the country voted for a successor to President Hamid Karzai. Eight boxes of votes were destroyed in the blast, which came as the three leading candidates voiced concerns about possible fraud. Noorullah Shirzada / AFP Photo

Two pressing questions for Afghanistan’s future president

Once in office, the next Afghan president must move fast to address important questions that will decide the immediate future of the country.

 Friday is UN Mine Awareness Day and Omer Hassan, who does demining work in Iraqi Kurdistan, is doing all he can to teach people about the dangers posed by landmines. Louise Redvers for The National

A landmine nearly ended Omer’s life but he now works to end the threat of mines in Iraq

Omer Hassan does demining work in Iraqi Kurdistan and only has to show people his mangled leg to underscore the danger of mines. With the world marking UN Mine Awareness Day on Friday, his work is as important as ever as Iraq is one of the most mine-affected countries in the world.

 Supporters of Turkey's ruling AKP cheer as they follow the election's results in front of the party's headquarters in Ankara on March 30. Adem Altan/ AFP Photo

Erdogan critic fears retaliation if he returns to Turkey

Emre Uslu is a staunch critic of Turkey's Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Now, with a mass crackdown on opposition expected, he is unsure when he can return home.


To add your event to The National listings, click here

Get the most from The National