SANA'A // Al Houthi rebels released yesterday 100 army soldiers and pro-government tribesmen who were captured during recent clashes in the northern province of Amran. Mohammed Abdulsalam, a Houthi spokesman, said the men were handed over to two members of a committee monitoring the cease-fire between the insurgents and government forces. The handover could not be confirmed by the government.
The freed men were among 228 military personnel and tribesmen loyal to the government captured by the Houthis during the recent clashes in the Harf Sufian district of Amran province that killed at least 60 tribal fighters, soldiers and rebels. Mr Abdulsalam said the release is concrete evidence they are serious about peace. "We released last week 50 and now 100. This is a clear demonstration that we are keen on peace which is a strategic option for us," he said in a telephone interview.
On Saturday, Yemen's supreme security commission said that the rebels had killed 12 people, wounded 55 and capturing 228 soldiers and tribesmen during a battle with al Azizi tribesmen, in al Amashiya region of Amran. firstname.lastname@example.org