SANAA // Up to 15 people were reportedly killed in fighting yesterday between Yemeni government forces and armed tribesmen loyal to the former president, who were trying to storm the interior ministry in Sanaa, a medical source said.
Many other people were said to be wounded in what was some of the heaviest fighting in the capital since Ali Abdullah Saleh signed a deal to relinquish power last year after months of protests against his 33-year rule.
Security forces regained control of the situation, a government source said. A witness saw three armoured vehicles and soldiers guarding the entrance to the ministry.
The showdown highlighted ongoing instability in Yemen five months after Mr Saleh was replaced as president by his deputy under a plan designed to end the political upheaval that severely weakened government control over parts of the country.
Dozens of tribesmen exchanged fire with security forces during their second attempt at seizing the ministry in three days, to demand jobs in the police force.
The tribesmen say they were promised jobs in reward for siding with Mr Saleh during the uprising that eventually unseated him.
On Sunday, around 100 tribesmen occupied the ministry, vacating it on Monday after officials promised to heed their demands.
It was not clear whether those killed yesterday were tribesmen or government forces.The ministry storming is the latest challenge for the president, Abdrabu Mansour Hadi, who is trying to restructure the armed forces and restore stability in the impoverished country.