Text size:

  • Small
  • Normal
  • Large
Ahmed Al Jabari, left, escorts Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit to the Egyptian side of the Rafah border crossing upon his release from captivity on October 18 last year. Mr Al Jabari was assassinated today.
© STR New / Reuters
Ahmed Al Jabari, left, escorts Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit to the Egyptian side of the Rafah border crossing upon his release from captivity on October 18 last year. Mr Al Jabari was assassinated today.
Palestinians extinguish the blaze in Ahmed Al Jabari’s car after it was bombed by an Israeli air strike in Gaza City earlier today.
MAHMUD HAMS
Palestinians extinguish the blaze in Ahmed Al Jabari’s car after it was bombed by an Israeli air strike in Gaza City earlier today.

Israel's assassination of top Hamas commander 'has opened gates of hell'

Policy of targeted assassinations returns in Israel's most violent attack on Gaza since its invasion four years ago.

JERUSALEM // Hamas’s military chief was killed yesterday in Israel’s most violent attack on Gaza since its invasion four years ago.

Ahmed Al Jabari, 52, commander of the Izz Al Din Al Qassam Brigades, was one of nine people, two of them children, who died in the first of more than 20 Israeli air strikes. Thirty people were injured.

The air strikes mark the resumption of Israel’s policy of targeted assassinations, after Gaza militants ended an uneasy truce last Saturday and fired more than 100 rockets into Israel in four days.

Militants in Gaza vowed revenge yesterday. Al Qassam Brigades said: “The occupation has opened the gates of hell on itself”, and its militants would “continue the path of resistance”.

Hamas said: “The Palestinian government mourns the loss of the senior Palestinian leader Ahmed Al Jabari, one of the symbols of the resistance, and holds the occupation responsible for the consequences of this crime.”

The Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas condemned the attacks, demanded an immediate end to the bloodshed and called for an emergency meeting of the Arab League “to discuss the dangerous Israeli escalation and brutal aggression on our people in the Gaza Strip”.

But Israel warned that the air strikes were only the beginning of a sustained campaign that may include another invasion. The aim was “the targeting of terrorist organisations in the Gaza Strip – Hamas, Islamic Jihad and others”, the military said.

“All options are on the table. If necessary, the IDF is ready to initiate a ground operation in Gaza.”

Yesterday’s attacks began with an air strike on Al Jabari’s saloon car near the busy Omar Mukhtar Street in Gaza City. Crowds of people and security personnel rushed to the scene of the strike, trying to put out the fire that had engulfed the car and left it a charred shell. The Hamas commander’s body and that of a bodyguard were pulled from the burnt-out wreckage.

Al Jabari was one of the most influential Hamas leaders in Gaza, had long been at the top of Israel’s most-wanted list and survived four previous attempts to kill him.

He was blamed for a string of attacks, including the 2006 capture of Gilad Shalit, the Israeli soldier released last year in a prisoner swap for 1,027 Palestinians. He personally escorted Shalit to the Egyptian border on the day of his release.

Al Jabari was originally a member of Fatah, Hamas’s rivals, but joined the Islamist group while serving 13 years in prison and became operational head of the Brigades in 2002. He played a leading role in Hamas’s takeover of the Gaza Strip in June 2007.

Although technically second-in-command, he controlled the group’s military activities, said Walid Al Mudallal, a political-science professor at the Islamic University of Gaza.

“This is a significant leader in Hamas and I think it will respond massively to his assassination,” Mr Mudallal said.

“I’m not sure if we’re talking about full-blown war, but definitely an escalated cycle of violence will be the result of this.”

Critics say Israel’s assassination policy invites retaliation by militants and encourages them to try to assassinate Israeli leaders.

Advocates counter that they are an effective deterrent without the complications of a ground operation, which results in chiefly civilian and Israeli troop casualties. Proponents argue they also prevent future attacks by removing their masterminds.

The Israeli vice prime minister Moshe Yaalon, the army chief of staff at the time targeted killings surged, is convinced the practice worked.

“Clearly over these past 13 years there has been an ongoing war, but there have also been extended periods of calm,” Mr Yaalon said on Monday.

“When I was chief of staff, the targeted killings against Hamas led to extended periods of quiet.”

hnaylor@thenational.ae

* With additional reporting the by Associated Press and Agence France-Presse

twitterFollow The National on @TheNationalUAE & Hugh Naylor on @HughNaylor

Back to the top

More articles


Editor's Picks

 Fatema holds a picture of her son Nurul Karim as she poses for a photograph in front of her slum house in Savar. Fatema lost her son Nurul Karim and her daughter Arifa, who were working on the fifth floor of Rana Plaza when it collapsed on April 24, 2013. All photos Andrew Biraj / Reuters

These women know the real price of cheap high street fashion

Survivors of the world's worst garment factory accident, struggle to rebuild their lives from the rubble of the Rana Plaza collapse as Bangladesh prepares to mark the first anniversary of the disaster.

 Iranian workers at the Iran Khodro auto plant in Tehran on March 18. Maryam Rahmanian for The National

Iran’s love of cars survives devastating sanctions

Sanctions and energy subsidy reductions might have hurt the Iranian automotive industry. But car makers at one factory are still optimistic, Yeganeh Salehi reports from Tehran

 Iranian President Hassan Rouhani greeted by university students as he leaves Sistan University in Sistan and Baluchestan’s provincial capital of Zahedan on Tuesday, April 15, 2014. Maryam Rahmanian for The National

In Iran’s most troubled province, Rouhani hears pleas for change

Hassan Rounani aims to connect with residents of far-flung Sistan and Baluchestan province.

 Prince Bandar bin Sultan in Riyadh on March 3, 2007. Hassan Ammar / AFP Photo

Saudi Prince Bandar promised a victory he could not deliver

Saudi Arabia's controversial intelligence chief stepped down this week after rumours that his policies on Syria had fallen out of favour.

 Thai anti-government protesters blow whistles during a rally at the Metropolitan Electricity Authority in Bangkok, Thailand. Rungroj Yongrit / EPA

Best photography from around the world April 23

The NAtional View's photo editors pick the best of the day from around the world

 Aiza Tonida puts out laundry amid the ruins of her parents home in Leyte province that was destroyed when Typhoon Haiyan struck central Philippines on November 8, 2013. Joey Reyna for The National

Filipinos seek Middle East jobs to rebuild lives after Haiyan

Work in the GCC seen as only hope for thousands left homeless and jobless after devastating storm in November.

Events

To add your event to The National listings, click here

Get the most from The National