Text size:

  • Small
  • Normal
  • Large

'Free Palestine' protest disrupts Israel Philharmonic concert in London

About 40 demonstrators in the 3,000-strong audience repeatedly interrupted Thursday night's performance with boos, singing, cries of "free Palestine" and the unfurling of banners.

LONDON // Pro-Palestinian protesters forced the BBC to abandon coverage of a classical music concert featuring the Israel Philharmonic orchestra by disrupting the show from inside the Royal Albert Hall.

About 40 demonstrators in the 3,000-strong audience repeatedly interrupted Thursday night's performance - part of the prestigious, annual Proms series of concerts - with boos, singing, cries of "free Palestine" and the unfurling of banners.

Coverage of the concert, being broadcast by BBC Radio 3, was briefly interrupted at 7.45pm BST and then finally taken off the air completely after another noisy protest about an hour later.

The London-based Palestine Solidarity Campaign had earlier called for the BBC to cancel the concert, claiming the orchestra showed "complicity in whitewashing Israel's persistent violations of international law and human rights".

Organisers had been expecting protests outside the famous London concert venue but demonstrators had also bought £20 (Dh120) tickets for the event and sat in small groups inside the hall, initially booing when conductor Zubin Mehta first appeared.

The majority of the audience reacted angrily to the demonstrations, prompting several reviewers yesterday to suggest that the protests could have been counterproductive. Erica Jeal, a music critic, suggested the interruptions "seemed to turn the audience - many of whom were no doubt sympathetic to the protesters - into avid supporters of the Israel Phil".

Professor Jonathan Rosenhead, from the London School of Economics, was one of about 30 protesters ejected from the hall.

"The orchestra is intimately connected with the Israeli state," he said afterwards. "We are saying not to forget the denial of human rights in Israel."

In a statement, the BBC said: "We regret that as a result of sustained audience disruption within the concert hall which affected the ability to hear the music, last night's Israel Philharmonic Orchestra Prom was taken off air. "The invitation to the orchestra was a purely musical one, offering the opportunity to hear this fine orchestra in conductor Zubin Mehta's 75th year, so we are disappointed that BBC Radio 3 audiences were not able to enjoy the full performance."

The broadcaster said that it would be repeating uninterrupted parts of the concert in a special programme on Wednesday.

It was not the first time pro-Palestinian demonstrators had disrupted a musical performance by Israeli musicians in the UK.

In August 2008, members of the Scottish Palestine Solidarity Campaign halted a concert by the Jerusalem String Quartet at Queen's Hall in Edinburgh.

 

dsapsted@thenational.ae

Back to the top

More articles


Editor's Picks

 Fatema holds a picture of her son Nurul Karim as she poses for a photograph in front of her slum house in Savar. Fatema lost her son Nurul Karim and her daughter Arifa, who were working on the fifth floor of Rana Plaza when it collapsed on April 24, 2013. All photos Andrew Biraj / Reuters

These women know the real price of cheap high street fashion

Survivors of the world's worst garment factory accident, struggle to rebuild their lives from the rubble of the Rana Plaza collapse as Bangladesh prepares to mark the first anniversary of the disaster.

 Supporters of unseen India’s main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party prime ministerial candidate and Chief Minister of the western Indian state of Gujarat, Narendra Modi, wave as he arrives to file his election nomination papers in Varanasi. Sanjay Kanojia / AFP Photo

Best photography from around the world April 24

The National View's photo editors pick the best of the day from around the world

 Iranian workers at the Iran Khodro auto plant in Tehran on March 18. Maryam Rahmanian for The National

Iran’s love of cars survives devastating sanctions

Sanctions and energy subsidy reductions might have hurt the Iranian automotive industry. But car makers at one factory are still optimistic, Yeganeh Salehi reports from Tehran

 Iranian President Hassan Rouhani greeted by university students as he leaves Sistan University in Sistan and Baluchestan’s provincial capital of Zahedan on Tuesday, April 15, 2014. Maryam Rahmanian for The National

In Iran’s most troubled province, Rouhani hears pleas for change

Hassan Rounani aims to connect with residents of far-flung Sistan and Baluchestan province.

 Prince Bandar bin Sultan in Riyadh on March 3, 2007. Hassan Ammar / AFP Photo

Saudi Prince Bandar promised a victory he could not deliver

Saudi Arabia's controversial intelligence chief stepped down this week after rumours that his policies on Syria had fallen out of favour.

 Aiza Tonida puts out laundry amid the ruins of her parents home in Leyte province that was destroyed when Typhoon Haiyan struck central Philippines on November 8, 2013. Joey Reyna for The National

Filipinos seek Middle East jobs to rebuild lives after Haiyan

Work in the GCC seen as only hope for thousands left homeless and jobless after devastating storm in November.

Events

To add your event to The National listings, click here

Get the most from The National