Text size:

  • Small
  • Normal
  • Large

Arab League seeks to calm Egypt-Saudi Arabia diplomatic tensions

Nabil Al Arabi, the Arab League chief, indicates that he was mediating a spat between Saudi Arabia and Egypt, calling it a "passing phase."

CAIRO // Arab League chief Nabil Al Arabi indicated yesterday that he was mediating a diplomatic spat between Saudi Arabia and Egypt, calling it a "passing phase."

Riyadh on Saturday recalled its ambassador from Cairo after protests outside the Saudi embassy in Cairo over an Egyptian human-rights lawyer who was arrested in the kingdom.

Saudi state news agency SPA said the Cairo embassy as well as the kingdom's consulates in the cities of Alexandria and Suez were closed.

Mr Arabi said in a statement yesterday that he had been in touch with the Saudi and Egyptian foreign ministers, Prince Saud Al Faisal and Mohammed Kamel Amr.

He said he had "confidence in the wisdom of the two nations to get over this passing phase in the historic and strategic special relations between Egypt and Saudi Arabia."

Mr Amr said yesterday it was important not to focus on a single case when it came to relations between the nations.

"There are very few problems for Egyptians in Saudi Arabia when you consider their number, which is more than two million," he told parliamentary committees on human rights and Arab affairs.

He also rejected "all offensive comments written on the walls of the Saudi embassy in Cairo."

On Tuesday, hundreds of Egyptians protested outside the embassy demanding the release of rights activist and lawyer Ahmed El Gezawi, who was arrested when he arrived at Jeddah airport on April 17.

The Saudi authorities claim he possessed banned drugs.

On Saturday night, Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood urged Riyadh to "work towards not increasing tensions between Cairo and Riyadh, and to think again about closing its embassy and consulates."

"The people who protested outside the embassy ... were merely stating the desire of Egyptians to maintain the dignity of their compatriots in Arab states," the Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party said in a statement.

Meanwhile, Egypt's Central Bank Governor Farouk El Okdah said a Saudi Arabian financial aid package to Egypt won't be blocked because of the dispute. "It will arrive for sure," Mr El Okdah said. "This has been agreed on between the two countries."

Planning and International Cooperation Minister Fayza Aboulnaga said in an interview on April 19 that the package will include a US$1 billion deposit and $750 million to buy treasury bonds.

* Agence France-Presse with additional reporting by Bloomberg

Back to the top

More articles


Editor's Picks

 Fatema holds a picture of her son Nurul Karim as she poses for a photograph in front of her slum house in Savar. Fatema lost her son Nurul Karim and her daughter Arifa, who were working on the fifth floor of Rana Plaza when it collapsed on April 24, 2013. All photos Andrew Biraj / Reuters

These women know the real price of cheap high street fashion

Survivors of the world's worst garment factory accident, struggle to rebuild their lives from the rubble of the Rana Plaza collapse as Bangladesh prepares to mark the first anniversary of the disaster.

 Supporters of unseen India’s main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party prime ministerial candidate and Chief Minister of the western Indian state of Gujarat, Narendra Modi, wave as he arrives to file his election nomination papers in Varanasi. Sanjay Kanojia / AFP Photo

Best photography from around the world April 24

The National View's photo editors pick the best of the day from around the world

 Iranian workers at the Iran Khodro auto plant in Tehran on March 18. Maryam Rahmanian for The National

Iran’s love of cars survives devastating sanctions

Sanctions and energy subsidy reductions might have hurt the Iranian automotive industry. But car makers at one factory are still optimistic, Yeganeh Salehi reports from Tehran

 Iranian President Hassan Rouhani greeted by university students as he leaves Sistan University in Sistan and Baluchestan’s provincial capital of Zahedan on Tuesday, April 15, 2014. Maryam Rahmanian for The National

In Iran’s most troubled province, Rouhani hears pleas for change

Hassan Rounani aims to connect with residents of far-flung Sistan and Baluchestan province.

 Prince Bandar bin Sultan in Riyadh on March 3, 2007. Hassan Ammar / AFP Photo

Saudi Prince Bandar promised a victory he could not deliver

Saudi Arabia's controversial intelligence chief stepped down this week after rumours that his policies on Syria had fallen out of favour.

 Aiza Tonida puts out laundry amid the ruins of her parents home in Leyte province that was destroyed when Typhoon Haiyan struck central Philippines on November 8, 2013. Joey Reyna for The National

Filipinos seek Middle East jobs to rebuild lives after Haiyan

Work in the GCC seen as only hope for thousands left homeless and jobless after devastating storm in November.

Events

To add your event to The National listings, click here

Get the most from The National