LONDON // Note to self: A microwave is for leftovers, not your smelly socks.
British firefighters say they saved an apartment from destruction after a domestically challenged resident tried to dry his wet socks and underwear in a microwave oven.
The Dorset Fire and Rescue Service said firefighters rescued the man from his home and extinguished the kitchen blaze yesterday.
The fire destroyed the appliance along with the two pairs of underwear and socks inside it, and caused smoke damage to the apartment in Weymouth, a town on England's south-west coast and host to the London Olympics sailing regatta.
"The fire safety message here is to never put clothing of any kind in the microwave or an oven to attempt to dry them," the Dorset firefighters said, dryly, in a statement.