Text size:

  • Small
  • Normal
  • Large
What next on Iran’s nuclear deal: follow the news here

Bahrain to take legal action against Shiites over protest rally

Bahrain's interior ministry blamed Al Wefaq for encouraging the protest, which led to blocking of roads, vandalism and the spreading of fear among the business owners in the area.

Bahrain's ministry of interior said yesterday it would take legal action against the largest Shia opposition bloc, Al Wefaq, for holding an unlicensed rally in central Manama on Friday.

The case "will be referred to the public prosecution", a ministry statement announced.

The ministry blamed Al Wefaq for encouraging the protest, which led to "blocking of roads, vandalism and the spreading of fear among the business owners in the area", the statement said. Six protesters were arrested during the demonstrations.

"The ministry affirms its support for free speech but reminds all citizens that freedom of expression does not include vandalism," the statement said. Al Wefaq and several other opposition groups had called the protests in response to verdicts against 13 opposition leader earlier last week.

The government alleged that they were attempting to overthrow the government during Arab Spring protests that erupted last year, but the defendants argued that they were simply asking for democratic reforms.

Al Wefaq had applied for a licence to protest one day in advance, according to the ministry of interior statement, but their request had been denied because the protest route "negatively affected businesses in the major business corridor". Despite lacking official permission to protest, dozens of activists gathered in Manama on Friday afternoon, in what witnesses said was the largest demonstration since the government lifted a blanket ban on such gatherings earlier this summer.

Traffic was paralysed going in and out of the central business district as police set up checkpoints.

Al Wefaq rejected the accusations the protest hurt commercial activity, saying that they had gathered for a peaceful protest that was intended to last just one hour on Friday evening, at a time when most businesses were not operating.

"We practiced our right and the people practiced their right," said Khalil Marzouk, a former Al Wefaq MP, by phone from Bahrain.

"The ministry of interior is saying that we have blocked the roads, but it is the opposite: Beginning at 2pm, they blocked the entrances to Manama."

Activists who participated in the protest said that the security presence was heavier than usual. And Al Wefaq blamed police for beating and verbally abusing protesters.

According to the Bahrain state news agency's Arabic website, the country's prime minister, Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa, said he would not allow protests that could jeopardise national economic activity.

He promised to take action against those who sought to "harm national interests".

 

foreign.desk@thenational.ae

Back to the top

More articles


Editor's Picks

 Fatema holds a picture of her son Nurul Karim as she poses for a photograph in front of her slum house in Savar. Fatema lost her son Nurul Karim and her daughter Arifa, who were working on the fifth floor of Rana Plaza when it collapsed on April 24, 2013. All photos Andrew Biraj / Reuters

These women know the real price of cheap high street fashion

Survivors of the world's worst garment factory accident, struggle to rebuild their lives from the rubble of the Rana Plaza collapse as Bangladesh prepares to mark the first anniversary of the disaster.

 Iranian workers at the Iran Khodro auto plant in Tehran on March 18. Maryam Rahmanian for The National

Iran’s love of cars survives devastating sanctions

Sanctions and energy subsidy reductions might have hurt the Iranian automotive industry. But car makers at one factory are still optimistic, Yeganeh Salehi reports from Tehran

 Iranian President Hassan Rouhani greeted by university students as he leaves Sistan University in Sistan and Baluchestan’s provincial capital of Zahedan on Tuesday, April 15, 2014. Maryam Rahmanian for The National

In Iran’s most troubled province, Rouhani hears pleas for change

Hassan Rounani aims to connect with residents of far-flung Sistan and Baluchestan province.

 Prince Bandar bin Sultan in Riyadh on March 3, 2007. Hassan Ammar / AFP Photo

Saudi Prince Bandar promised a victory he could not deliver

Saudi Arabia's controversial intelligence chief stepped down this week after rumours that his policies on Syria had fallen out of favour.

 Thai anti-government protesters blow whistles during a rally at the Metropolitan Electricity Authority in Bangkok, Thailand. Rungroj Yongrit / EPA

Best photography from around the world April 23

The NAtional View's photo editors pick the best of the day from around the world

 Aiza Tonida puts out laundry amid the ruins of her parents home in Leyte province that was destroyed when Typhoon Haiyan struck central Philippines on November 8, 2013. Joey Reyna for The National

Filipinos seek Middle East jobs to rebuild lives after Haiyan

Work in the GCC seen as only hope for thousands left homeless and jobless after devastating storm in November.

Events

To add your event to The National listings, click here

Get the most from The National