Text size:

  • Small
  • Normal
  • Large
This picture released from North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency shows the Chinese prime minister Wen Jiabao (centre) waving as he watches a game with the North Korean leader Kim Jong Il (right) at May Day Stadium in Pyongyang on October 5, 2009.
This picture released from North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency shows the Chinese prime minister Wen Jiabao (centre) waving as he watches a game with the North Korean leader Kim Jong Il (right) at May Day Stadium in Pyongyang on October 5, 2009.

N Korea considers return to nuclear talks

The return to multinational disarmament talks will depend on progress of the two-way negotiations between North Korea and the US.

The North Korean leader Kim Jong II told China's premier the North was prepared to return to multinational disarmament talks but said that will depend on progress in its two-way negotiations with the US. Mr Kim's comments, carried today by the official North Korean and Chinese media, were the clearest sign yet that Pyongyang was readying to resume the six-nation talks it withdrew from after conducting a long-range rocket test in April and a second nuclear test in May.

Adding urgency to those efforts was a report today by South Korea's Yonhap news agency saying that the US and South Korean intelligence authorities believe the North is in the final stages of restoring its nuclear programme that it pledged to disable in 2007 before backing out of the disarmament process. In a meeting on Monday, Mr Kim told the Chinese prime minister Wen Jiabao the North "is willing to attend multilateral talks, including the six-party talks, depending on the progress in its talks with the United States," China's Xinhua news agency said in a report issued early today.

The North Korean's official Korean Central News Agency said that Mr Kim told Mr Wen that denuclearisation remained a goal and that historically hostile relations with the US "should be converted into peaceful ties through bilateral talks without fail." North Korea has been moderating its tone in recent weeks, signalling its willingness to resume a dialogue with the United States, China and other partners and backing away from the provocative behaviour and rhetoric of the spring.

The State Department spokesman Ian Kelly said Washington was aware of reports that North Korea would reconsider opening talks but said the United States had not received details of the meeting from the Chinese. "We've talked to our Chinese partners in the six-party talks and we're conducting close co-ordination with China and the other partners in the talks," Mr Kelly said. "We, of course, encourage any kind of dialogue that would help us lead to our ultimate goal that's shared by all the partners in the six-party talks, which is the complete and verifiable denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula."

The Yonhap report said South Korean and US intelligence authorities concluded the North is restoring its nuclear programme after scrutinising about 10 atomic facilities in North Korea since April when the communist regime said it had restarted the programme in anger over a UN rebuke of its rocket launch. The report, citing an unidentified South Korean defence source, did not describe how intelligence authorities managed to scrutinise the North's secretive facilities. Under the six-nation talks, North Korea had agreed in 2007 to disable its nuclear facilities in return for international aid.

In June last year, the North blew up the cooling tower at its main nuclear complex near Pyongyang in show of its commitment to denuclerisation. But disablement came to halt later in 2008 as Pyongyang wrangled with Washington over how to verify its past atomic activities. The North's state media said last month the government had informed the UN Security Council it was in the final stages of enriching uranium.

Yonhap also cited the source as saying North Korea conducted missile engine tests recently at its new launch site on the country's west coast, which has been in the final stage of construction. Mr Kim's remarks to Mr Wen came on the second day of the Chinese premier's three-day trip to Pyongyang to celebrate the 60th anniversary of diplomatic relations between the neighbours. Mr Kim greeted Mr Wen on his arrival on Sunday at Pyongyang's airport.

That was a rare honour for a non-head of state, reflecting Beijing's importance as the North's chief economic and diplomatic backer. Beijing was under pressure from other governments to bring North Korea back to the negotiating table. China provides much of the food assistance and most of the oil needed to keep the listing North Korean economy going. Both countries' communist leaderships traded congratulatory messages on Monday extolling what the Chinese called their "good neighbourly, friendly and cooperative relations".

Mr Kim's comments appeared to be calibrated to pressure Washington for progress in one-on-one talks without alienating North Korean hardliners by backing away from the North's earlier stance that it would never return to multinational negotiations, said Yang Moo-jin, a professor at Seoul's University of North Korean Studies. "It is aimed at saving the face of China, pressuring the US and taking care of the domestic audience," Mr Yang said.

Mr Wen's visit is seen as an inducement to Pyongyang to return to the disarmament talks, which China sponsored and which include Japan, Russia and South Korea as well as the US and North Korea. The cautious Chinese leadership is unlikely to have agreed to Mr Wen's trip without assurances about resumed talks. China fought alongside North Korea against the US-led forces in the 1950-53 Korean War but the two sides have drifted apart in recent decades as China embraced free-market reforms and North Korea remained a defiantly closed, totalitarian state.

Despite strains, Beijing rarely threatens North Korea publicly, preferring to offer support to encourage Pyongyang to engage the outside world. *AP

Back to the top

More articles


Editor's Picks

 Fatema holds a picture of her son Nurul Karim as she poses for a photograph in front of her slum house in Savar. Fatema lost her son Nurul Karim and her daughter Arifa, who were working on the fifth floor of Rana Plaza when it collapsed on April 24, 2013. All photos Andrew Biraj / Reuters

These women know the real price of cheap high street fashion

Survivors of the world's worst garment factory accident, struggle to rebuild their lives from the rubble of the Rana Plaza collapse as Bangladesh prepares to mark the first anniversary of the disaster.

 Supporters of unseen India’s main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party prime ministerial candidate and Chief Minister of the western Indian state of Gujarat, Narendra Modi, wave as he arrives to file his election nomination papers in Varanasi. Sanjay Kanojia / AFP Photo

Best photography from around the world April 24

The National View's photo editors pick the best of the day from around the world

 Iranian workers at the Iran Khodro auto plant in Tehran on March 18. Maryam Rahmanian for The National

Iran’s love of cars survives devastating sanctions

Sanctions and energy subsidy reductions might have hurt the Iranian automotive industry. But car makers at one factory are still optimistic, Yeganeh Salehi reports from Tehran

 Iranian President Hassan Rouhani greeted by university students as he leaves Sistan University in Sistan and Baluchestan’s provincial capital of Zahedan on Tuesday, April 15, 2014. Maryam Rahmanian for The National

In Iran’s most troubled province, Rouhani hears pleas for change

Hassan Rounani aims to connect with residents of far-flung Sistan and Baluchestan province.

 Prince Bandar bin Sultan in Riyadh on March 3, 2007. Hassan Ammar / AFP Photo

Saudi Prince Bandar promised a victory he could not deliver

Saudi Arabia's controversial intelligence chief stepped down this week after rumours that his policies on Syria had fallen out of favour.

 Aiza Tonida puts out laundry amid the ruins of her parents home in Leyte province that was destroyed when Typhoon Haiyan struck central Philippines on November 8, 2013. Joey Reyna for The National

Filipinos seek Middle East jobs to rebuild lives after Haiyan

Work in the GCC seen as only hope for thousands left homeless and jobless after devastating storm in November.

Events

To add your event to The National listings, click here

Get the most from The National