Text size:

  • Small
  • Normal
  • Large
Egypt's military warned Saturday of 'disastrous consequences' if the crisis that sent tens of thousands of protesters back into the streets is not resolved. AP Photo / Hassan Ammar
Egypt's military warned Saturday of 'disastrous consequences' if the crisis that sent tens of thousands of protesters back into the streets is not resolved. AP Photo / Hassan Ammar

Morsi backs down in Egypt crisis after army ultimatum

Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi has backed down and annulled a controversial decree issued last month that put his decisions beyond judicial review.

Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi backed down yesterday in a political crisis marked by weeks of street protests, after the powerful army gave an ultimatum to him and the opposition to hold talks.

But the initial signs were that his concession would not satisfy an increasingly fierce opposition.

The Islamist leader annulled a controversial decree issued last month that put his decisions beyond judicial review -- a move denounced as a dictatorial "power grab" by the opposition, but one which Mr Morsi had defended as necessary to protect reforms.

"The constitutional decree is annulled from this moment," Selim al-Awa, an Islamist politician and adviser to Mr Morsi, told a news conference after a meeting between the president and other political leaders.

But Mr Awa said an equally contentious referendum on a new constitution would go ahead as planned on December 15. The president was legally bound under the constitution to maintain that date and had no choice, he said.

Mr Awa added that if the draft constitution were rejected, a new one would be drawn up by officials elected by the people, rather than ones chosen by parliament as for the current text.

The draft constitution has been criticised for its potential to weaken human rights and the rights of women, and out of fear it would usher in Islamic interpretation of laws.

The two issues -- the decree and the referendum -- were at the heart of the anti-Morsi protests that turned violent last week, with clashes on Wednesday that killed seven people and wounded hundreds.

The opposition refused Mr Morsi's offer of dialogue as long as those two decisions stood.

But on Saturday the powerful military, in its first statement since the crisis began, told both sides to talk. Otherwise, it warned, Egypt would descend "into a dark tunnel with disastrous results -- and that is something we will not allow."

The army said it "stands always with the great Egyptian people and insists on its unity" but it was its duty to protect state institutions. It urged a solution based on "democratic rules."

Mr Morsi's concession on the decree appeared to be a gesture to open the way for the talks to happen. But it remained to be seen if the opposition would remain intransigent over the referendum.

One of the groups involved in the struggle to topple Mubarak, the April 6 Youth Movement, swiftly dismissed the announcements as "a political manoeuvre aimed at duping the people".

It called for the protests to continue to stop "the referendum on the constitution of the Muslim Brotherhood", a reference to the party backing Mr Morsi.

On Saturday there were none of the large-scale demonstrations seen on previous nights. But the presidential palace remained ringed by tanks and troops, as it has been since the day after the deadly clashes.

In Cairo's Tahrir Square, a focal point for hardcore protesters, news of the annulled decree sparked no celebrations. "This will change nothing," said one anti-Morsi activist, Mohamed Shakir, 50.

"Even if they offered us honey, it would not be enough," agreed another, Hisham Ezzat.

Ahmad Abdallah, there with his wife and two children, said he could no longer accept Morsi and nothing less than the disappearance of the Muslim Brotherhood would satisfy him.

"The Brotherhood exists around the world, they have gone to other countries and split the people. Before the split, Morsi had a chance but now it's too late," he said.

The main opposition bloc, the National Salvation Front, has said it is ready for "serious and objective dialogue" as soon as Mr Morsi met its demands to scrap both the decree and the referendum.

It had rebuffed his offer on Thursday to open talks because he failed to give way on those two points.

On Saturday the Front spoke of the possibility of organising a general strike in protest.

However Islamist groups supportive of Morsi have categorically refused to consider even delaying the constitutional referendum.

In recent days, the mass protests had taken to demanding that Morsi step down, in scenes reminiscent of those during the early 2011 uprising that toppled president Hosni Mubarak.

Wayne White, a policy expert with Washington's Middle East Policy Council, told AFP the military's involvement in the crisis was key.

If the army's leaders saw enough opposition to Morsi, they would "inform him that they cannot continue to keep the peace and that he should make serious concessions to the opposition", he said.

Back to the top

More articles


Editor's Picks

 Iranian President Hassan Rouhani greets supporters after his arrival in Zahedan, the regional capital of Sistan and Baluchestan province on Tuesday, April 15, 2014. During Mr Rouhani's two-day visit, he will tour several other cities and hold meetings with local scholars and entrepreneurs. Maryam Rahmanian for The National

On the road with Hassan Rouhani

Iran's president is touring some of Iran's most underdeveloped provinces. Foreign correspondent Yeganeh Salehi is traveling with him.

 The Doha-based Youssef Al Qaradawi speaks to the crowd as he leads Friday prayers in Tahrir Square in Cairo, Egypt in February, 2011. The outspoken pro-Muslim Brotherhood imam has been critical of the UAE’s policies toward Islamist groups, adding to friction between Qatar and other GCC states. Khalil Hamra / AP Photo

Brotherhood imam skips Doha sermon, but more needed for GCC to reconcile

That Youssef Al Qaradawi did not speak raises hopes that the spat involving Qatar and the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain might be slowly moving towards a resolution.

 Twitter photo of  Abdel Fattah El Sisi on the campaign trail on March 30. Photo courtesy-Twitter/@SisiCampaign

El Sisi rides a bicycle, kicks off social media storm

The photos and video created a huge buzz across social media networks, possibly a marker of a new era for Egypt.

 An Afghan election commission worker carries a ballot box at a vote counting centre in Jalalabad on April 6. A roadside bomb hit a truck carrying full ballot boxes in northern Afghanistan, killing three people a day after the country voted for a successor to President Hamid Karzai. Eight boxes of votes were destroyed in the blast, which came as the three leading candidates voiced concerns about possible fraud. Noorullah Shirzada / AFP Photo

Two pressing questions for Afghanistan’s future president

Once in office, the next Afghan president must move fast to address important questions that will decide the immediate future of the country.

 Friday is UN Mine Awareness Day and Omer Hassan, who does demining work in Iraqi Kurdistan, is doing all he can to teach people about the dangers posed by landmines. Louise Redvers for The National

A landmine nearly ended Omer’s life but he now works to end the threat of mines in Iraq

Omer Hassan does demining work in Iraqi Kurdistan and only has to show people his mangled leg to underscore the danger of mines. With the world marking UN Mine Awareness Day on Friday, his work is as important as ever as Iraq is one of the most mine-affected countries in the world.

 Supporters of Turkey's ruling AKP cheer as they follow the election's results in front of the party's headquarters in Ankara on March 30. Adem Altan/ AFP Photo

Erdogan critic fears retaliation if he returns to Turkey

Emre Uslu is a staunch critic of Turkey's Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Now, with a mass crackdown on opposition expected, he is unsure when he can return home.

Events

To add your event to The National listings, click here

Get the most from The National