The 18-year-old Emirati woman charged with consensual sex after reporting that she was raped by six men retracted all her original statements in court today. The woman, LH, went the police after the incident on May 2 and said she had been raped. According to court documents, she was tested by the court's forensic unit and the six men were charged with rape. Today she told the judge that the men did not rape her, nor did she have sex with any of them. The charges against the men stand, prosecutors say. They have all denied the allegations. If LH is convicted of consensual sex, she faces a sentence of lashes and a maximum prison term of life. If she is convicted of lying under oath, she faces a maximum prison term of two years. Justice Saeed Abdul Baseer of the Abu Dhabi Criminal Court adjourned the hearing for June 7. email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thousands of Christians gather for Good Friday services in the capital
- Muslim Brotherhood Emirati says group surfaced in UAE to take advantage of Arab Spring
- Asthma on the agenda at fun Jumeirah beach event
- Personalised courses available for disabled drivers
- Muslim scholar urges women to take centre stage in Islam
- GCC security deal raises hopes of an end to diplomatic row
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Four new cases of Mers discovered in the UAE, says World Health Organisation
- Painter denies committing sex act while shopping in Dubai, court hears
- UAE Friday sermon: Why the Quran was revealed in stages
- Ethiopian maid ‘admits to burning and knifing Dubai children’
- Australia hopes to lure Emirati students to its institutions while selling uranium to the UAE
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- History shines light on the true borders of Palestine
- Reduce speed limit buffer on UAE roads, experts urge
- American ‘has UAE Embassy documents’ to back up medicinal marijuana claim
- Nakheel to sell plots for hotels and resorts on Dubai’s Deira Islands
- UAE’s healthcare system must grant equitable access to all
Region in focus - April 18, 2014
The best images of the last seven days from around the Gulf and across the Middle East.
In pictures: Penthouse flat is height of Dubai luxury living
A five-bedroom penthouse in Ocean Heights in Dubai Marina is on sale for Dh25 million and comes with a private pool and an unparalleled view of Dubai.
Video: Local reactions to a national fishing ban
A federal fishing ban has been imposed by the UAE federal government, but local authorities are taking diiferent approaches to implementing the ban. Two fishermen tell two very different sides of the story. Produced by Paul O'Driscoll
Hamburg the dinosaur’s time may be up in Bundesliga
Ever-present for 51 years in the German top-flight, Hamburg face the prospect of relegation, writes Ian Hawkey.
In pictures: Hot cars at New York International Auto Show
With more than 1 million visitors annually, the New York International Auto Show is one of the most important shows for the US car industry. Here are some of the vehicles to be shown in this year’s edition.
Fast & Furious 7 filming in full swing at Emirates Palace
Filming for Fast & Furious 7 has started and we have the first photos of the cast and crew on set at Emirates Palace hotel this morning. Visitors staying at Emirates Palace say they have been kept away from certain areas in the grounds.