The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office offers the following pointers on their website to Britons who are travelling to the UAE:
- UAE airports have excellent security. Transiting passengers carrying even residual amounts of drugs are arrested.
- Bad language, rude gestures and public displays of affection are all frowned upon and may carry criminal charges.
- The importation of narcotics, pork products and pornography into the UAE is illegal.
- Women should dress modestly in public. Clothes should cover the tops of arms and legs, and underwear should not be visible.
- Non-payment of bills (including hotel bills) is regarded seriously in the UAE and can often result in imprisonment and/or a fine.
- Photography of certain government buildings and military installations is not permitted. Do not photograph people without their permission.
* Maey El Shoush