An aeroplane was evacuated and a runway closed at Sharjah International Airport today after the plane suffered a burst tyre prior to takeoff. Aviation officials said ambulances and rescue teams rushed to the scene, but noone was hurt. The 172 passengers and six crew members on board the Air India Express flight to Thiruvananthapuram, the capital city of Kerala, were immediately evacuated from the plane after the incident at about noon. The state news agency WAM said: "The captain avoided taking off and managed to halt the plane at the runway." There were five children among the plane's passengers, according to WAM. "Thank God no one is injured and there is no fatality," said Sheikh Khalid Al Qassimi, the director general of Sharjah Civil Aviation Authority. Sheikh Khalid said an investigation was under way into what caused the tyre to burst. The passengers had been well looked after in the airport as they awaited a later flight, he added.
- Bridge to Dubai Bluewaters Island project approved
- Al Ain takes measures to increase road safety
- Interactive: Al Ain crash sites
- Long-awaited UAE child car seat law ‘may be in place next year’
- Deadline for Abu Dhabi jet-ski registration extended
- Dubai agencies reveal plans for marine stations for Dubai canal project
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- 13-year-old boy fends off older rivals to win Abu Dhabi Junior Triathlon
- NYU Abu Dhabi student reaches out to young entrepreneurs via online magazine
- Bill Clinton to speak at first New York University Abu Dhabi graduation
- A splash of colour: Thousands celebrate Holi in Dubai
- In pictures: Thousands celebrate Holi in Dubai
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Federal Traffic Council approves proposal to lower UAE driving age
- Men ripped off woman’s clothes in bathroom, Abu Dhabi court hears
- Ties no longer mandatory for Dubai cabbies amid safety concerns
- Live blog: With the emergency workers at Rashid Hospital Trauma Centre
- Dubai launches mobile app to faciliate parking and payment
The nine new weird and wonderful UAE workouts you have to try
Tired of your usual workout? Exercise needn’t be boring: we’ve picked out nine novel – and challenging – classes in Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
Saif Ali Khan pleads not guilty to assault
Plus: Hilton inaugurates Manila beach club; Rick Ross tops Billboard 200; Chris Brown arrested for parole violation; Keith Richards to publish children’s book; big renewal deal for Big Bang; and book of Oprah's columns to be published.
In pictures: New Lamborghini showroom opens in Abu Dhabi
Lamborghini launched its latest super car, the Huracán LP 610-4, in the Emirates at the opening of its new Abu Dhabi showroom on the Corniche.
Emirates Airline: A million passengers a week and flying higher
As Emirates adds its eighth American destination with a daily service to Boston, its president speaks about how the carrier manages its rapid growth and surging passenger totals and its plans for additional expansion.
In pictures: 2014 Abu Dhabi International Triathlon
Over 2,400 athletes, professional and amateur, took part in the 2014 edition of the Abu Dhabi International Triathlon.
Silva service for Manchester City in 2-0 win over Hull
Manchester City resumed their Premier League engagements after two weeks off with a narrow 2-0 win over Hull City, but striker Edin Dzeko says the team can ill-afford to be without captain Vincent Kompany in their title chase after the defender was sent off against the Tigers.