The UAE Armed Forces announced a further Dh4.9 billion in defence contracts yesterday at Idex, the International Defence Exhibition in Abu Dhabi.
The deals bring the total value of contracts to more than Dh10bn in two days. Among those announced yesterday is a Dh1.9bn deal with the UAE's AMMROC centre to provide aircraft management, maintenance and repair services.
Meanwhile the UAE's home-built defence developer and manufacturer Tawazun took centre stage at Idex yesterday with the launch of three new subsidiary companies, and three new military vehicles from its Nimr Automotive subsidiary.
"It is a great window to showcase these vehicles at this venue," said Mohammed Al Mazrouei, Nimr's acting general manager.
The exhibition has its offbeat moments too. Science-fiction fans with US$100,000 (Dh367,300) to spare need look no further than the world's first civilian jetpack.
The collaboration between Emirates Advanced Research and Technology Holding (Earth), Khalifa University and Martin Aircraft of New Zealand cruises at 100kph at a height of 1,500 metres. "Hopefully, in the next two years, you'll be able to buy your own," said company design engineer James Bowker.
Yesterday's military shopping list:
1. Aircraft maintenance Armed Forces signed a deal with AMMROC (Advanced Military Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul Centre), UAE, to maintain and repair their aircraft. Dh1.8m
2. Laser-guided bombs from Raytheon, United States, purchase of GBU12 and GBU58 laser-guided bombs.
3. Ammunition from the Tawazun subsidiary Caracal Light Ammunition, purchase of UAE-made light ammunition.
4. Satellite-guided parachutes from Airborne Systems, US, purchase of GPAD (Guided Precision Aerial Delivery) system.
5. Vehicles from Darwish Bin Ahmed & Sons, UAE purchase of vehicles for Armed Forces. Dh209m
6. Technical upgrades, Navy from Abu Dhabi Ship Building, technical upgrades to Baynunah-class naval vessels.
7. Ammunition and accessories from International Golden Group, UAE, purchase of ammunition and accessories.
8. Targeting system from Rockwell Collins UK, purchase of Firestorm strategic targeting system. Dh146.9m
9. Security devices from Al Fahad Smart Systems, UAE, purchase, installation and maintenance of security devices. Dh45.9m
10. Cameras and systems from Adasi, UAE, purchase of MX-10 cameras, air-balloon systems, technical support and development of drones. Dh119.4m
11. Naval technical support contract from Etihad Ship Building, UAE, technical support for Falaj-class patrol vessels.
12. Spare parts from Beltech, Belarus, spare parts for Namut gunsight for BMP-3 infantry fighting vehicle.
13. Devices from Milipol International Establishment, UAE, unspecified precision devices and equipment. Dh43.5m
14. Spare parts from Al Jisr Company, UAE, new car parts. Dh12.6m
15. Missile maintenance from Thales Group, multinational, technical support, maintenance and repair of missiles. Dh37m
16. IT systems and networks From Incon Infrastructure, UAE, development of IT networks. Dh43.5m
17. Military uniforms from PT Sri Rejeki Isman, Indonesia, purchase of new military uniforms. Dh9.4m
18. Training from C4 Advanced Solutions, UAE, training of Armed Forces. Dh185m
19. Cameras from Thales Optronics, multinational, new cameras for drones. Dh43.5m
20. Precision-guided ammunition from Tawazun Dynamics, UAE, possible purchase by Armed Forces. n/a
21. Vehicles from Nimr, Tawazun subsidiary, possible purchase of 800 vehicles by Armed Forces. n/a