SHARJAH // A policeman is recovering in hospital after being shot as he installed a speed camera. Nasser Nour Abdullah, 32, was one of four officers working along Al Ittihad Road, near Sahara Mall, in Sharjah on Monday when he was hit in the left leg. Police believe the bullet was fired from a nearby building. They were still hunting for the gunman today. The shooting happened at about 4am, as residents were heading out for their early prayers. As Mr Abdullah lay bleeding on the road, and with police reinforcements and paramedics rushing to the scene, worshippers who had been heading to a mosque gathered around to help. Police officers immediately cordoned off the area. They believe that the shot came from inside one of several buildings across the road from the mall but had little else to go on yesterday as they gathered evidence. However, a spokesman for Sharjah Police said it was not thought to be a random shooting. "Until the criminal is arrested, only he can tell us why he shot the police officer on duty," said the spokesman. Mr Abdullah has been with the force for eight years. He is in Al Qassimi Hospital. Sources at the hospital said last night the officer was recovering well and it was likely that he would be discharged in the next few days. The incident was the second attack on a police officer in Sharjah this year. In April, Rashid Mohammed, 43, survived knife wounds to the chest when he was stabbed by a Pakistani driver whose vehicle he had stopped. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Big TVs and big deals on offer at GITEX Shopper in Dubai
- Student acted alone in quad bike theft, Dubai court hears
- Dubai residents are living proof of benefits of healthy lifestyle
- Men caught on camera having sex each claim they were raped, Dubai court hears
- It’s a nice day for a high wedding: get hitched on Burj Al Arab’s helipad in Dubai
- In pictures: Abu Dhabi’s new Al Fayah Park
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Gang of masked robbers attack another UAE family in London
- Residents seek answers in wake of flooding at Abu Dhabi upmarket apartments
- UAE deports woman who had abortion overseas
- ‘Reduce number of expatriate workers in GCC’, says UAE Minister
- London police looking for ‘number of suspects’ in second attack on UAE family
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- History shines light on the true borders of Palestine
- American ‘has UAE Embassy documents’ to back up medicinal marijuana claim
- Nakheel to sell plots for hotels and resorts on Dubai’s Deira Islands
- UAE’s healthcare system must grant equitable access to all
- FNC member says unmarried UAE women creating ‘financial burden’
In pictures: Abu Dhabi’s new Al Fayah Park
The plans for the new 125,000 square metre Al Fayah – which means 'shade' in Arabic – Park were unveiled on Tuesday at Cityscape Abu Dhabi.
Focal Point: Immersed in an Al Ain oasis
Photographer Antonie Robertson immerses us in an Al Ain oasis
‘Now the game of our lives is at Stamford Bridge’ says Mourinho after Chelsea, Atletico draw
After Tuesday's scoreless draw, Jose Mourinho revealed Petr Cech's season was over and John Terry was also done unless they could reach the Champions League final.
Abu Dhabi gets its first CrossFit gym, Code CrossFit, thanks to four Emirati friends
Four Emirati friends have joined forces to open Abu Dhabi's first CrossFit gym, Code CrossFit.
Giggs a better fit for Manchester United than Moyes
The winger, who has played 962 games for the club, has been placed in interim charge of the first team and will be assisted by his former Manchester United teammate Nicky Butt.
Gate Towers Penthouse Collection on Reem Island launched by Aldar
The 21 duplex penthouses, which are located in the curved sky-bridge and feature private indoor pools and views of the city, were launched at Cityscape Abu Dhabi.