DUBAI // An inquiry into the shooting of a five-year-old boy is continuing, police said yesterday.
Saeed Rashid Al Khateri was hit by a stray bullet while out walking with his father in the rural Suwan neighbourhood of Ras Al Khaimah at the beginning of the month.
He was paralysed after being shot in the back.
It was originally believed the shot was fired by a neighbour celebrating the return of Haj pilgrims but police said they had not yet reached any conclusions.
“The investigation is still ongoing,” said an official at Ras Al Khaimah Police. “As far as we are aware, there have been no arrests.”
The child was initially admitted to Saqr Hospital but was moved to Dubai’s Rashid Hospital “almost immediately”, Dr Yousef Altair, head of emergency at Saqr Hospital, said at the time of the incident.
He confirmed the child had been paralysed because of the shooting.
A spokesman for Rashid Hospital said Saeed, an Emirati, had been admitted on November 1 and was still being treated two weeks later.
He declined to offer any further information about his condition.
Firing guns in celebration is illegal but still common in the Northern Emirates.
In March this year, two people died from gunfire at an Emirati wedding.