ABU DHABI // The reggae singer Damian 'Jr Gong' Marley, who was scheduled to be the closing act of the weekend's Womad festival, has cancelled his performance because of ill health, just hours before he was due to take to the stage. The Jamaican American, the youngest son of the reggae legend Bob Marley, was to be the grand finale for the event but organisers had to make last minute alternative plans. Organisers chartered flights with Etihad Airways for all the artists, including Marley, performing at the festival to ensure the show would go on despite travel disruptions caused by Iceland's volcanic eruption. Marley, 32, made musical history in 2005 when he became the first reggae artist to win a Grammy outside of the reggae category, winning an award for the Best Urban/Alternative performance for his single, Welcome To Jamrock. He also won a Grammy for the Best Reggae Album category. Welcome to Jamrock peaked at number seven on the Billboard 200 chart and has sold 764,000 copies. He was heralded by Rolling Stone magazine as one of the top 10 new artists to watch and is currently on a world tour to promote his new album which is released next month. The three day World of Music, Arts and Dance festival, held on Abu Dhabi's Corniche and in Al Ain, included Al Ayala, an Emirati traditional dance group; Trio Joubran, made up of three Palestinian oud-playing brothers; Faiz Ali Faiz from Pakistan, who played Qawwali, the devotional music of the Sufis of India and Pakistan; and Tinariwen, a troupe of Touareg musicians from the Sahara Desert region of northern Mali. email@example.com
- 10 killed in accidents on Abu Dhabi to Al Sila Road in the first three months of 2014
- UAE special needs driver honoured for accident-free record
- Abu Dhabi set to emerge as cultural citadel as tourist numbers soar
- Message from the editor: on April 17, a different window on the world
- In pictures: Shah Rukh Khan stars at IPL Gala dinner in Abu Dhabi
- No words can describe this April 17, your captions will
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Star Wars: Episode VII evidence in Abu Dhabi desert
- Mers coronavirus: Filipino paramedic infected 10 colleagues, says the WHO
- UAE health authorities monitoring Mers cases in Filipinos
- Investigation in to Sharjah private school that took pupils hostage to take two days
- GCAA report warns of Maldives airport after Emirates plane incident
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- History shines light on the true borders of Palestine
- Reduce speed limit buffer on UAE roads, experts urge
- Finishing touches to luxury Fortnum and Mason shop in Dubai
- American ‘has UAE Embassy documents’ to back up medicinal marijuana claim
- Nakheel to sell plots for hotels and resorts on Dubai’s Deira Islands
In pictures: Shah Rukh Khan stars at IPL Gala dinner in Abu Dhabi
The superstar entertainer Shah Rukh Khan on stage last night at a gala dinner to launch the Indian Premier League cricket tournament.
No words can describe this April 17, your captions will
Have a catchy caption for this picture. Share it with us and we might publish it and reward you.
Rare 1856 stamp up for auction at Sotheby’s
This is one of the world’s rarest stamps and when it goes up for auction in June it should fetch $20million. Its history since it was issued in 1856 is fascinating – and includes one murderous chapter, as Jonathan Gornall reports
What to consider when spending Dh6m on a luxury Dubai apartment
Property expert Mario Volpi explains the five key elements apartment buyers in Dubai should consider when property hunting to ensure they pick a pad that holds its value.
On the road with Hassan Rouhani
Iran's president is touring some of Iran's most underdeveloped provinces. Foreign correspondent Yeganeh Salehi is traveling with him.
In pictures: Barca play a little rugby before Copa del rey final
Barcelona and Real Madrid will play in the Copa del Rey final on Wednesday night but the day before the match, Braca players played a little rugby during a training session at Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper training camp, in Sant Joan Despi, Spain. Barca meet Real Madrid on Wednesday at 11.30pm (UAE time) and the match will be on BeIn Sports.