Flights to Frankfurt and Muscat from Abu Dhabi and Dubai operated by Lufthansa are cancelled because of a four-day strike by pilots, which began today. The strike came about when management at the German airline failed to reach an agreement with the Vereinigung Cockpit union over management decisions that include the type of aircraft used by the airline and its European subsidiaries. Industrial action will continue until February 25. Christoph Meier, a spokesperson for the company in Africa and the Middle East, said: "We are certain the strike will not end any later than Thursday. Hopefully it will end earlier." Two thirds of the airline's 1,800 daily flights have been grounded by the strike, he added. The airline was unable to say exactly how many travellers in the UAE the strike would affect. It has told passengers they can rebook for free for flights later in the week that are unaffected by strike action or get a refund. Lufthansa operates several flights out of Abu Dhabi and Dubai. A flight between Muscat, Abu Dhabi and Frankfurt which runs six times a week has been cancelled. Also, daily flights between Dubai and Frankfurt have come to a halt. Trips between Dubai and Munich are operating as scheduled. Mr Meier said the airline had chosen to cancel flights that were either under booked, required more staff, or not part of the airline's core network. "There are a number of influencing factors. First of all we have to keep operating the basic network and most of our high demand trunk routes," he said.
- E-cigarettes being sold in a Dubai mall despite ban
- Deaf at two, mother to four and widowed at 34: how one woman conquered her disability
- Hundreds learn sign language thanks to travelling UAE roadshow
- We’ll provide every opportunity for deaf people, Sheikh Nahyan vows
- Updated curriculum for public school students
- In pictures: Some common words in Emirati sign language
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Star Wars: Episode VII evidence in Abu Dhabi desert
- Mers coronavirus: Filipino paramedic infected 10 colleagues, says the WHO
- In pictures: Shah Rukh Khan stars at IPL Gala dinner in Abu Dhabi
- IPL-mad Indian expats in UAE come out to bat for their teams
- Investigation in to Sharjah private school that took pupils hostage to take two days
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- History shines light on the true borders of Palestine
- Reduce speed limit buffer on UAE roads, experts urge
- Finishing touches to luxury Fortnum and Mason shop in Dubai
- American ‘has UAE Embassy documents’ to back up medicinal marijuana claim
- Nakheel to sell plots for hotels and resorts on Dubai’s Deira Islands
Star Wars: Episode VII evidence in Abu Dhabi desert
After more than a week of speculation, The National has what are believed to be the first photos of a Star Wars shoot in the Abu Dhabi desert.
No words can describe this April 17, your captions will
Have a catchy caption for this picture. Share it with us and we might publish it and reward you.
Zoom in! This is your Dubai in a single image
On our sixth birthday, we are all about pictures. So here is our #mydubai offering. Using zoom.it, explore the city.
Amir Khan says bout with Luis Collazo ‘will steal the show’ in Las Vegas on May 3
British-Pakistani boxer Amir Khan says his fight with Luis Collazo will be the main attraction on same fight card led by Floyd Mayweather Jr and Marcos Maidana, writes Omar Al Raisi.
In pictures: Miele puts art in coffee making
Miele has devoted itself to the art of preparing the black liquid with its beautifully designed coffee machines, living up to its mantra of turning kitchens into cafés.
The National’s picture caption competition
... And the winners are: