The Emirates Identity Authority will work through both the Islamic and Gregorian New Year holiday in a bid to keep up with demand from people registering for a national identity card. The Islamic New Year, officially a public holiday, falls tomorrow. The authority had originally said December 31 was the deadline for expatriate professionals to get their identity cards but this month pushed back that date to the end of February after being swamped by applications. Registration centres have been overwhelmed after professional expatriates were told they would not be able to access government services including health care and possibly use of the banking system, without a card after Dec 31. Expatriate professionals and anyone working for the Government are in the first tranche of workers required to get an identity card. Administrative workers, including secretaries, translators, typists and shopkeepers, as well as expatriates employed in the hotel, restaurant and tourism industries, can start to apply from March 1. firstname.lastname@example.org
- American curriculum in the UAE will not help getting into US universities
- Athletes warming up ahead of Abu Dhabi International Triathlon
- Abu Dhabi Award winners tell of their pride over honours
- Abu Dhabi airport closes south runway for improvements
- High-end accessories on offer at Abu Dhabi show
- Al Ain takes measures to increase road safety
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Drunk British tourist ran about naked in Palm Jumeirah hotel
- An Abu Dhabi family happy to live in the past
- Heartache as Dubai family breaks news to children of couple on missing Malaysia Airlines jet
- Long-awaited UAE child car seat law ‘may be in place next year’
- In pictures: Leaders attend UAE and Egypt’s joint military exercise Zayed 1
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Federal Traffic Council approves proposal to lower UAE driving age
- Men ripped off woman’s clothes in bathroom, Abu Dhabi court hears
- Ties no longer mandatory for Dubai cabbies amid safety concerns
- Live blog: With the emergency workers at Rashid Hospital Trauma Centre
- Dubai launches mobile app to faciliate parking and payment
In pictures: Leaders attend UAE and Egypt’s joint military exercise Zayed 1
Leaders from the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Egypt attend a joint military exercise, “Zayed 1” between the UAE and Egyptian armed forces in the Western Region.
In pictures: Best business images of the week to March 12
In pictures: This week's list of business images includes refugee carpet makers in Peshawar; coal energy in Germany and protests at IBM's factory in China.
Porsche, McLaren, and LaFerrari hybrids are best
The Porsche 918 Spyder, McLaren P1 and the LaFerrari set the pace eco-style.
Video: Nepal aim to prove they belong at T20 World Cup
Nepal's cricketers will make their debut at a global event when they play at the World Twenty20 in Bangladesh this month. Produced by Paul Radley
In pictures: 10 things not to miss at Design Days Dubai
Top ten things not to miss at Design Days Dubai.
Best photography from around the world today
The National View's photo editors pick the best images of the day from around the world.