How the world paid tribute to Sheikh Zayed
* The United Nations European headquarters and its affiliate agencies lowered their flags to half mast on news of Sheikh Zayed's death. Diplomatic delegates based in Geneva thronged the UAE diplomatic mission to offer their condolences.
* King Fahd bin Adbulaziz of Saudi Arabia expressed the heartfelt condolences of his government and the people of his kingdom in a call to Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan before travelling to convey his respect in person.
* France's president, Jacques Chirac, sent a cable of condolence and left a European Union summit in Brussels early to ensure he arrived within the period of days set aside for condolences. In his cable he said, "I was deeply shocked by the death of Sheikh Zayed... Sheikh Zayed's achievements are incredible... he was the dynamic force behind the political, economic and social development of the UAE... he worked tirelessly to ensure the regional character of the UAE federation."
* German ambassador Jurgen Steltzer described Sheikh Zayed as, "a giant among other statesmen... a Ruler with great vision [whose] life was not only dedicated to the welfare of his citizens but also to peace in the world. His tolerance and compassion were legendary."
* Pakistan's president, General Pervez Musharraf, paid tribute stating, "The entire Pakistani nation is mourning the loss of a great friend."
* Iranian chargé d'affaires Mohammed Shahabi said, "Sheikh Zayed has turned the UAE into an oasis of prosperity, peace and security. He dedicated his life to serve his people with high loyalty and to achieve prosperity for them."
* Turkish foreign minister Abdullah Gul issued a statement in which he noted, "The Emirates will always stand as a living memory of his achievements. Wherever we look we will see his stamp on the future of his nation."
* Worshippers in Mecca performed funeral prayers for Sheikh Zayed.