July 11, 2011-SHARJAH: Fire gutted a residential building that was still under construction in Al Khan area just opposite Al Safeer Mall on Monday evening.
Yasin Kakande/The National
Preliminary reports state that a discarded cigarette butt may have started the fire.
Firefighters from Sharjah and Dubai arrived on the scene and battled the blaze for two hours.
All workers on the site had been safely evacuated when the blaze began on Monday evening.
In pictures: Fire guts building in Sharjah
In pictures: Falcons keep the pigeons away
Video: Colombian hostages reunited with families
Audio: Chatham House experts discuss the significance of events during and after 9/11
Do you have a story?