DUBAI // Two BinHendi Enterprises executives accused of embezzling almost Dh28million (US$7.6m) yesterday presented a court with their list of defence witnesses. The Emirati executive MB, 61, and an Algerian administrative manager, MZ, 33, are charged with breach of trust, which carries a maximum three-year sentence. Both denied the charges when they appeared before the Dubai Court of Misdemeanours last month.
The plaintiffs in the criminal case, who are of various nationalities, said in February that overseas remittances totalling some Dh27.6m made through the company's Federal Exchange money exchange unit did not reach their intended beneficiaries. MZ's attorneys asked the court to call a BinHendi project manager to testify in the case, along with the company's accountant. MB's lawyers asked the court to call two men identified as FW and FM, whose relationship to the company or the case was not specified.
Dr Ali al Jarman, representing the plaintiffs, then requested an adjournment to present a civil claim, the amount of which was not revealed. BinHendi, which represents more than 60 brands and has 100 stores across the country, including the Hugo Boss label and its Cafe Japengo restaurant chain, was established in Dubai more than 30 years ago. The alleged embezzlement took place during an undisclosed period before February 26 of last year. Prosecutors said they had been investigating MB and MZ since March 11 of last year.
Prosecutors said during the initial hearing last month that financial irregularities had appeared at Federal Exchange after MZ started working as its administrative manager. They have asked the court to take all steps necessary to ensure the return of the missing money. email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org