A 10-year-old British girl managed to escape from two men who had sexually assaulted her by kicking one of her attackers, a court heard yesterday. The victim had left her home in a Jebel Ali residential complex on a scooter to find mice on a nearby sand patch when two Bangladeshi men grabbed her and attempted to rape her, according to prosecutors. The victim's father found her several hours later crying. One suspect, AB, 27, was arrested and charged with attempted rape. The case at the Dubai Criminal Court was adjourned until May 20.
- On our sixth birthday, today’s news told visually
- Video: QR codes in our anniversary edition explained
- Abu Dhabi commuters feel the heat as air-con bus shelters fall into disrepair
- E-cigarettes being sold in a Dubai mall despite ban
- Deaf at two, mother to four and widowed at 34: how one woman conquered her disability
- Hundreds learn sign language thanks to travelling UAE roadshow
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Star Wars: Episode VII evidence in Abu Dhabi desert
- Mers coronavirus: Filipino paramedic infected 10 colleagues, says the WHO
- In pictures: Shah Rukh Khan stars at IPL Gala dinner in Abu Dhabi
- Investigation in to Sharjah private school that took pupils hostage to take two days
- Woman dies after falling from balcony of Jumeirah Lakes Towers apartment
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- History shines light on the true borders of Palestine
- Reduce speed limit buffer on UAE roads, experts urge
- Finishing touches to luxury Fortnum and Mason shop in Dubai
- American ‘has UAE Embassy documents’ to back up medicinal marijuana claim
- Nakheel to sell plots for hotels and resorts on Dubai’s Deira Islands
On our sixth birthday, today’s news told visually
Today in print, we are doing something different: we use only photos, graphics, illustrations and headlines to capture the news in a one-off collector’s edition.
Star Wars: Episode VII evidence in Abu Dhabi desert
After more than a week of speculation, The National has what are believed to be the first photos of a Star Wars shoot in the Abu Dhabi desert.
Amir Khan says bout with Luis Collazo ‘will steal the show’ in Las Vegas on May 3
British-Pakistani boxer Amir Khan says his fight with Luis Collazo will be the main attraction on same fight card led by Floyd Mayweather Jr and Marcos Maidana, writes Omar Al Raisi.
In pictures: Fishing communities in the Northern Emirates
Fishermen in Fujairah and Umm Al Qaiwain worry that new regulations to protect fish stocks are harming their trade. We look at both communities through the lens of our photographers.
Fast & Furious 7 filming in full swing at Emirates Palace
Filming for Fast & Furious 7 has started and we have the first photos of the cast and crew on set at Emirates Palace hotel this morning. Visitors staying at Emirates Palace say they have been kept away from certain areas in the grounds.
In pictures: Al Maryah Island rises in Abu Dhabi
Al Maryah has been chosen as the site for Abu Dhabi’s first financial free zone, the Abu Dhabi Global Market, and construction activity in the island has been at a fast pace.