AJMAN // The municipality has warned residents against using pesticides made with banned materials.
Khalid Al Hosani, executive director of public health and environment at Ajman Municipality, said advice brochures had been printed as part of a safety campaign following recent incidents where people, particularly children, died or fell ill after exposure to illegal pesticides.
Habiba Hisham, 2, died last month and her brother, Abdul Rahman, 6, is seriously ill from suspected pesticide poisoning after becoming sick at their Sharjah home.
"Despite frequent warnings we are still hearing of people who insist on using types of … pesticides regardless of their harmful effects," said Mr Al Hosani.
"The brochures offer detailed information on the safest measures to adopt while using pesticides and the importance of checking only licensed products are used," Mr Al Hosani said.
He urged members of the community to contact the health awareness department at the municipality for more information on how to safely use pesticides.
Residents should call the department to report an area that needs to be sprayed with pesticides on the toll-free number 80026, or at www.am.gov.ae.