MANCHESTER // Five players for the Manchester City football team have been fined for having windows tinted above the UK's legal limit of 25 per cent for the windscreen and 30 per cent for side windows. Shay Given, Kolo Toure, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Patrick Vieira and Stephen Ireland were all given £30 (Dh169) fixed-penalty notices. Police first spotted Given's overly tinted Bentley, worth £120,000 (Dh677,756), and followed him to the club's car park where they found four other players' cars with illegally darkened windows. Witnesses have said Wright-Phillip was "particularly upset" to have been approached by officers. As well as the fine, the players were to drive with the windows down until they rectifed the problem. However, it is believed club officials arranged for a company to correct the tints during training. The stars paid for the work, which was said to be "minimal". In 2007, the former Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo was fined £30 when the windows on his £140,000 Bentley Convertible were found to be too dark. The club's captain, Gary Neville, has also been fined for the offence.
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- The nine new weird and wonderful UAE workouts you have to try
- Where to find Afghan restaurants in the UAE
- Experiencing the real Dubai: a new guide that goes beyond the glitz and glamour
- Dubai-based entrepreneur tells how Spirit of Arabia takes online shopping to a whole new dimension
- In pictures: the UAE’s Afghani restaurants
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Federal Traffic Council approves proposal to lower UAE driving age
- Men ripped off woman’s clothes in bathroom, Abu Dhabi court hears
- Ties no longer mandatory for Dubai cabbies amid safety concerns
- Live blog: With the emergency workers at Rashid Hospital Trauma Centre
- Dubai launches mobile app to faciliate parking and payment
The new trend of dining with strangers in the UAE
There is a new trend popping up in the UAE where strangers who have never met get together for meetup dinners.
An ancient encore: Technicolor display of beauty returns to Wadi Shahah basin
Ample rains have lured a rare and spectacular bloom back to the Wadi Shahah basin -- opulent displays of rich colours that are thousands of years old.
Under the knife: meet the UAE’s first cosmetic surgery consultancy
Considering plastic surgery? A new consultancy in Dubai is offering prospective patients objective information, and helps them choose the right doctor for the procedure they seek.
In pictures: 12 new restaurants to try in Abu Dhabi and Dubai
The National takes a look at 12 new restaurants that have recently opened up in Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
When Muslims are faced with haram foods
Should the Muslim contestants on the popular TV series MasterChef Australia be made to cook with pork and alcohol? We talk to the show's female contestants Amina Elshafei and Samira El Khafir.
In pictures: The creation of a Chanel dress
Selina Denman goes behind the scenes to see how a Chanel dress is transformed from a designer's vision to the runway.