CALIFORNIA // Harry Hurt, the man credited with conducting pioneering research into the causes of motorcycle accidents, has died. Mr Hurt was 81 years old. Mr Hurt analysed the causes and outcomes of more than 900 motorbike accidents in the Los Angeles area in the 1970s and then used his findings to publish The Hurt Report in 1981. His research paper is still widely regarded as the benchmark work on motorbike safety. The report's key conclusion were that speed was not the main cause of accidents involving motorbikes and that a collision was likely to have occurred as the result of a car driver failing to see a biker on the road, rather than by rider error. He recommended that riders use high-visibility clothing and a crash helmet - neither was in common use at the time in California - and that both drivers and bikers needed further road safety training. In recent times, Mr Hurt had said his report remained valid and that "the more time goes by, the less things look different."
- Celebrating a century of Maserati cars
- In pictures: 2014 Geneva Motor Show displays the stylish and conceptual
- The air bag: UAE taxi company upgrades to planet-friendly hybrids
- Road test: 2014 GMC Sierra
- The Emirates’ DIY creators come together for Innovator 2014 in Abu Dhabi
- In pictures: Emirates Classic Cars Festival thrills enthusiasts
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Federal Traffic Council approves proposal to lower UAE driving age
- Men ripped off woman’s clothes in bathroom, Abu Dhabi court hears
- Ties no longer mandatory for Dubai cabbies amid safety concerns
- OSN blames rival for TV sport blackout in the UAE as fans will have to buy new set-top boxes
- Live blog: With the emergency workers at Rashid Hospital Trauma Centre
The new trend of dining with strangers in the UAE
There is a new trend popping up in the UAE where strangers who have never met get together for meetup dinners.
An ancient encore: Technicolor display of beauty returns to Wadi Shahah basin
Ample rains have lured a rare and spectacular bloom back to the Wadi Shahah basin -- opulent displays of rich colours that are thousands of years old.
Under the knife: meet the UAE’s first cosmetic surgery consultancy
Considering plastic surgery? A new consultancy in Dubai is offering prospective patients objective information, and helps them choose the right doctor for the procedure they seek.
In pictures: 12 new restaurants to try in Abu Dhabi and Dubai
The National takes a look at 12 new restaurants that have recently opened up in Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
You might not know his name, but you’ll definitely know Mourad Boutros’s work
Master typographer and calligrapher Mourad Boutros, who is responsible for Expo 2020's logo, will discuss the ways type aids communication across cultures.
In pictures: The creation of a Chanel dress
Selina Denman goes behind the scenes to see how a Chanel dress is transformed from a designer's vision to the runway.