1. Celebrate the here and now. My parents taught me to appreciate everything and everyone around me. By adopting these principles I find myself inspired by our connection with the world that we live in. I find the relationship between how all we connect with each other to be the most interesting.
2. Be open-minded. Learn new things and embrace your surroundings. This is something I have always lived by. Be inquisitive and try to look at the world as if you were a child again. Ask questions and look around you for inspiration. When I use colours in my work I am inspired by the palette of life and use this as a medium to express emotions.
3. Respect your heritage. Family history is important and should be respected through the generations. Sharing stories and knowing where you came from complete the journey to where you are going.
4. Life is circular. The idea of rebirth is perhaps at the heart of my work. The expression of art is very much a metaphor for this whereby the artist puts all of his personality and soul into his creations with the hope that his reflections will live on long after the artist has gone. This is true of art, and for us as people.
5. Follow your dreams. Don't worry what other people think of you. If you stay true to what you love, you'll go far. Success is in the eye of the beholder.
As told to Jemma Nicholls
The Ye Hai India Darling exhibition runs from September 21 until October 30 at the XVA Gallery in Dubai International Financial Centre. www.xvagallery.com