1. Treat others how you would like to be treated. The people in your life are your mirror – how you treat them reflects back on you. A person must always be kind and sympathetic to those around them to get these good feelings reciprocated. However, if you are a negative person and treat people with this negativity, they in return will also be negative. Good feelings, I believe, are contagious.
2. Honesty and truth are the most important aspects in life. I do not believe in white lies - a lie is a lie, no matter how you sugar coat it. Be honest with who you are, be responsible for what you say, and keep the promises you make.
3. The family nucleus is what's important. Many great things have happened throughout my life; I married the woman I love and we have a loving family. My grandchildren have also opened up a different chapter in my life that is so eye-opening and wonderful. Long ago we had a more difficult life. However, the fundamentals of family remain the same no matter how many years have passed. Technology changes the world and how we communicate, but the human factor remains imperative.
4. Be good at what you love. Work is an important part of your life. If you do what you love, you will be giving so much more to this life. Financial gain should not be your aim. Money comes and goes, but an impression can last a lifetime. Donate your time to creating a better life around you for other people and yourself by putting positive ideas into this world through what you do in your job.
5. Treasure your friends. Even with a large loving family, a person cannot be without friends. There are times when they are what you need most in life.
As told to Jemma Nicholls