Liz Earle has written more than 30 books on beauty and her products are available in over 90 countries and online in the UAE. She lives in the West Country, England with her husband and children
1. Keep on top of day-to-day stresses. I'm a great list-maker, with a "to do" list always on the go. When you're very busy, it really focuses your mind on priorities and helps you feel in control. I have a few tried and tested stress-busters in life but the best piece of advice came from my mother, who told me that every hour of sleep before midnight is worth two hours after midnight.
2. Worry less, laugh more. I would rather have a few laughter lines around my eyes than no laughs in life.
3. Be in nature. It gives you balance. Everything around you is natural, so the way you look, the way you eat, the way you think - it forces you to be in a different state of mind. When we're happy, healthy and relaxed, our skin invariably is too. Research now shows that psychological stress damages the skin in a similar way to external stressors such as environmental pollutants - so for your sanity and skin's sake, staying calm and balanced is important all round.
4. Know your subject inside-out. "Crawl, walk, run" can be a mantra for most things in life worth doing. Don't rush, and take your time to make sure that everything you do is right for all involved. When starting a business, for example, there is so much of value to learn. Going into a venture without heaps of research and genuine knowledge is not a good idea - so know your subject inside-out, upside-down and back again.
5. Stay young. I passionately believe that ageing is not some disease to "recover" from; it's a natural part of life. Caring for our skin shouldn't be so much about anti-ageing; it should be about pro-youthfulness. Creating a healthy radiance - which means feeling good on the inside too - and hanging on to that for as long as possible is the key.
As told to Jemma Nicholls