Banchan are the selection of side dishes served alongside the main course. The number of these dishes tends to vary depending on the importance of the dinner, but at an everyday meal you can expect to see at least two or three. Salted and pickled vegetables are popular, but meat, eggs and seafood also make an appearance.
Probably the most well-known of all banchan, there are hundreds of different types of kimchi and recipes vary from region to region. Mostly, the dish consists of chilli peppers and fermented vegetables – cabbage is the most widely used, but cucumbers and radishes are popular, too. The result is a complex mouthful, which combines spicy, sour, salty and slightly sweet elements.
This is a chilli-pepper paste made from powdered, fermented soy beans, some form of rice powder and red peppers. Gochujang has a thickish consistency and a spicy, sweet flavour. It is considered to be a staple; as well as being used as a condiment or dip, it is an essential ingredient in a number of soups or stews.
Gogi Gui or Korean barbecue
Many families have their own indoor grill, which is considered essential for cooking dishes such as galbi and bulgogi with optimum results. Restaurants tend to have a charcoal or gas grill built into the centre of each table. For ease of eating with chopsticks, the meat will be sliced into bite-sized pieces, to be eaten wrapped in lettuce.
Different kinds of Korean food
- A hint of good things to come at Taste of Dubai
- Restaurant review: The Pizza Guys’ doughy New York-style treats
- 1001 Arabian Bites: Are adults the biggest children of food foibles?
- When Muslims are faced with haram foods
- MasterChef Australia finalist takes Middle Eastern food Down Under
- Spoilt for Choix: The multi-Michelin-starred French chef Pierre Gagnaire’s first restaurant in the Middle East
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Federal Traffic Council approves proposal to lower UAE driving age
- Men ripped off woman’s clothes in bathroom, Abu Dhabi court hears
- Ties no longer mandatory for Dubai cabbies amid safety concerns
- Live blog: With the emergency workers at Rashid Hospital Trauma Centre
- Dubai launches mobile app to faciliate parking and payment
The new trend of dining with strangers in the UAE
There is a new trend popping up in the UAE where strangers who have never met get together for meetup dinners.
An ancient encore: Technicolor display of beauty returns to Wadi Shahah basin
Ample rains have lured a rare and spectacular bloom back to the Wadi Shahah basin -- opulent displays of rich colours that are thousands of years old.
Under the knife: meet the UAE’s first cosmetic surgery consultancy
Considering plastic surgery? A new consultancy in Dubai is offering prospective patients objective information, and helps them choose the right doctor for the procedure they seek.
In pictures: 12 new restaurants to try in Abu Dhabi and Dubai
The National takes a look at 12 new restaurants that have recently opened up in Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
When Muslims are faced with haram foods
Should the Muslim contestants on the popular TV series MasterChef Australia be made to cook with pork and alcohol? We talk to the show's female contestants Amina Elshafei and Samira El Khafir.
In pictures: The creation of a Chanel dress
Selina Denman goes behind the scenes to see how a Chanel dress is transformed from a designer's vision to the runway.