• Jessica Chastain Wow! This is without a doubt the dress of the day. The gorgeous 35-year-old looked like all of the best of the Golden Age actresses rolled into one in her sequinned Armani Privé nude gown that offset her beautiful red hair set in soft waves. This is what Oscars dresses are made of.
• Amy Adams This is a controversial one. In the right light she shines, in the wrong light there is something a little 1970s lampshade about the whole thing. After much deliberation, though, I’m going to go for the former – she looks beautiful in the powder-blue gown by Oscar de la Renta. Why? Because she is smiling and looks completely at ease. Note to self, ladies, this is how to own a dress.
• Charlize Theron The thing I love about Charlize Theron is that she doesn’t play on her obvious beauty. She could easily do the whole sizzling blond bombshell on the red carpet but, like the roles she chooses, she tends to take the more interesting path. Her structured Dior dress, which shows off just the right amount of cleavage, made her stand apart in a sea of crystals.
• Jennifer Lawrence She made a bold move here and pulled it off nearly as spectacularly as her fall on the way to pick up her Oscar. The bridal-inspired design by Dior Haute Couture dress is cut to perfection and, despite the rigid skirt, doesn’t look constrictive. Her delicate choice of jewellery and simple yet elegant up-do lets the dress do the talking, which is the key to pulling off such a statement dress.
• Samantha Barks I normally don’t like black on the red carpet, nor do I like a slashed neckline, but the Les Misérables starlet Samantha Barks looks effortless and age-appropriate in this elegant number by Valentino.
• Halle Berry She’s perhaps one of the world’s most beautiful women – so how she gets the red carpet wrong time and time again is beyond comprehension. What on earth is this Versace gown she’s wearing? A 1980s reference to David Bowie? I’m looking for a lightsaber tucked away somewhere for later. And as for the hair? Perhaps it is time to sack the stylist.
• Salma Hayek Yet another incredibly beautiful woman in the wrong dress. The midnight-blue McQueen gown simply has the wrong neckline for a fuller bust, making the curvaceous star look like something from the final parade of Miss World.
• Kristen Stewart Now, before you chastise me, I wholly admit I love this dress, but it’s simply not the right choice for Stewart. Why? Because Stewart has a boyish figure and this dress screams for curves and a much needed s-curve waist-to-hip ratio. Plus, the just-got-out-of-bed hair would have been much better up.
• Kelly Rowland Oh help. Here we go with the rogue leg making a bid for freedom. Rowland’s Donna Karan Atelier gown with slashed white bodice has far too much going on, reminding us slightly of a sweet wrapper. We are a huge fan of the shoes but that is about it.
• Anne Hathaway I was so excited to write about Anne Hathaway’s dress; after her recent successful appearances and incredibly chic new crop, I was expecting a winner. The Prada number is incredibly chic but looks like it needs a good steaming around the midriff and the extraordinary bust shape is causing us much concern.