Smartly tailored black, khaki and leather - that's the latest way to wear military. At a recent Tommy Hilfiger show, models took to the runway in knee-length suede, while at Aquascutum it was all about structured separates. Meanwhile, Haider Ackermann delivered big shoulders and high collars in a neutral colour palette. Whether you prefer Victoria Beckham's skintight dresses or Chloé's belted oversized pieces, the key to the trend is subtlety
• For the office, work a taupe or camel suit with a simple jersey shirt underneath.
• A big boxy handbag is a great way to add definition to your outfit.
• Keep hair swept back with a slick of gel to give the look a sharp edge.
• Sky-high patent stilettos work perfectly with military colours. Try ankle or knee-high boots for added drama.
• Maroon lipstick on fresh, clean skin will give your look a sultry appeal.
• If you've got the figure to pull off bodycon, evening is the best time to do it. Be sure to cinch your waist with a neat, slim belt to emphasise your shape.
Harvey Nichols to host fashion workshops
Dubai’s Harvey Nichols will be hosting fashion-styling workshops this month. The sessions, covering the coming season’s top trends, will be presented by the Australian fashion commentator Melissa Hoyer and will take place on September 19 and 20. RSVP on 04 409 8888.
Miu Miu to show fashion film in Venice
The Italian fashion house Miu Miu premiered a short film titled It’s Getting Late at this week’s Venice film festival. Directed by the Iranian filmmaker Massy Tadjedin, the movie stars the actresses Patricia Clarkson, Gemma Arterton, Rinko Kikuchi and Aubrey Plaza.
H&M reopens at Mall of the Emirates
After an interior renovation, the Swedish retail giant H&M reopened its shop at the Mall of the Emirates yesterday. The branch is the brand’s 17th store in the UAE and carries all its women’s, men’s and children’s collections.
Croce twins not involved in Vionnet’s new line
The twin sisters Barbara and Lucia Croce are halting their design duties at the Parisian clothing label Vionnet. The brand’s spring/summer 2013 collection, which will be unveiled on September 28, is instead being handled by an in-house design team.