The three major investors announced as partners in the acquisition of Zain, the Arab world's second-largest telecommunications company, have yet to publicly commit to the proposed transaction. Almost three weeks after their participation in the US$13.7 billion (Dh50.32bn) deal was announced at a press conference, neither the two Indian state-owned telecoms nor the Malaysian billionaire announced as investors have confirmed their involvement. on Thursday, Kuldeep Goyal, the chairman of BSNL, the larger of the two Indian companies, told reporters he was cautious about the deal and the leader of the buying consortium, India's Vavasi Group. "We are not averse to the deal, but there is some caution through Vavasi," he said. "It is a huge deal. So we have to see what is there in the consortium, what can be done." Analysts have questioned the feasibility of such a large deal being led by Vavasi, a low-profile company with no publicly announced source of funding and little experience in the global telecoms industry. The consortium of buyers was announced by Farid Arifuddin, Vavasi's managing director. Both BSNL and MTNL, another Indian state-owned telecoms, were announced as members, alongside Syed al Bukhary, the billionaire. But both Indian companies have since denied being part of the consortium, saying only that they were considering offers to participate. Mr al Bukhary and his advisers have yet to publicly comment on the deal, and Mr Arifuddin declined to discuss the acquisition when contacted by phone on Thursday. Shares in Zain have slid more than 18 per cent since the acquisition was announced, falling last Thursday to a 38 per cent discount on the proposed price of 2 Kuwaiti dinars (Dh25.51) a share. The Kuwait stock exchange is closed this week for the Eid holidays. Analysts said the falling share price was initially caused by smaller investors selling their shares under the belief that they would not be able to participate in the sale, which is being led by Kuwait's Kharafi Group, Zain's second-largest shareholder. When Wataniya, another Kuwaiti mobile operator, was acquired in 2007, an institutional shareholder quietly gathered a majority stake in the company and sold it to Qatar's Qtel. Shareholders not invited to participate in the selling consortium could not get the premium price of those who were. But Kharafi put similar concerns to rest last week, inviting Zain's almost 20,000 smaller shareholders to participate in the sale. All those owning less than 300,000 shares in the company, valued at 372,000 dinars at current prices, were invited by Kharafi, which said the criteria covered 97.8 per cent of Zain's investors. Kharafi's publicly declared stake in Zain is just above 10 per cent, but the firm is believed by analysts to control up to 25 per cent through its subsidiaries and associates. Zain's largest shareholder, the Kuwait Investment Authority, owns about 25 per cent. It is not taking part in the sale, Zain's investor relations department has told analysts. Zain's management has yet to publicly acknowledge or comment on the sale, and has made no statements on the process to the stock market or media. firstname.lastname@example.org
- YahSat broadband service YahClick tops 20,000 subscribers
- Emirates forges the way for mobile communication services
- ‘A new world for television’ at Dubai media expo
- Dh1 billion smart city planned for Dubai Silicon Oasis
- BlackBerry pins hope on Qwerty as sales in UAE pick up
- Du to be linchpin in telecoms connection network through Middle East
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Aldar announces plans to build 2,300 homes worth Dh5.7bn for Emiratis
- Sun-powered Falcon Island development launched in Ras Al Khaimah
- Indian holistic guru driving attitudes of Priyanka Chopra and Aamir Khan
- Companies law in UAE offers promising year for IPOs
- Hult Prize chief on a mission to tackle poverty
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Federal Traffic Council approves proposal to lower UAE driving age
- Men ripped off woman’s clothes in bathroom, Abu Dhabi court hears
- Ties no longer mandatory for Dubai cabbies amid safety concerns
- OSN blames rival for TV sport blackout in the UAE as fans will have to buy new set-top boxes
- Live blog: With the emergency workers at Rashid Hospital Trauma Centre
In pictures: India’s health and fitness guru Mickey Mehta
Mickey Mehta, whose client list reads like a who’s who of India’s elite, describes himself as a “holistic health guru” and “a life coach and philosopher”.
In pictures: Top 10 most popular mobile handsets in the UAE
Here are the top 10 mobile handets in the UAE by specific model for the fourth quarter of 2013, according to the Telecommunications Regulation Authority.
Emirates Airline and Qatar Airways defend cabin crew rules
Carriers defend their policies on pregnancy and marriage. Emirates has a policy whereby female cabin crew who become pregnant in the first three years have to leave.
In pictures: Japan three years after the disaster
As Japan marks the third anniversary of the devastating earthquake, the country struggles to rebuild tsunami-hit communities and to clean up radiation from the Fukushima nuclear plant.
In pictures: CeBIT 2014 opens in Germany
CeBIT 2014 got underway in Hannover, Germany with mobile security and encrypted communications some of the topics expected to feature in the spotlight in Europe's largest technology trade show.
Rates report: Latest on UAE loans, accounts and credit cards
Souqamal.com brings you the latest interest rates on banking products in the UAE.