DUBAI // Leisure developer Tatweer said on Monday the bankruptcy of its partner Six Flags, one of the world's largest theme park operators, will not delay its developments within the Dubailand project, currently under construction. Six Flags Dubailand was the first of several projects that the firm was planning to develop. The conceptual master plan was finalised in May last year and the first phase of the theme park was scheduled to be completed in 2011 with 30 rides and projections of an estimated three million visitors every year.
"The chapter 11 announcement from Six Flags has no impact on our theme park plans or their openings," Tatweer told Reuters. "We have nothing to add and will not make any announcement regarding our development plans in the context of Six Flag's financial restructuring." The Dubai firm did not make clear if Six Flags would still be involved in its project. The first phase of the Dubai park was projected to be ready in 2011, Tatweer said last May. The park will stretch over five-million square feet, will feature 30 rides.