Plunging crude oil prices mean lower costs and greater availability for most of the materials and services used by oil producers. But one vital commodity remains in short supply: engineering talent. Cambridge Energy Research Associates has predicted that half of the globe's petroleum engineers will retire by 2015. That is of particular concern in the Gulf, which holds about 60 per cent of global oil reserves. In Abu Dhabi, as in the region's other top oil-producing states, crude exports account for a good part of the national wealth and is the source much of the country's foreign currency reserves.
- Plan ahead for rising interest rates
- If capitalism can’t save the world, what can?
- Employer recoups if fixed contract is not seen through
- Three of the best: It’s raining cash, thanks to generous loan offers
- Money and me: Be sensible, but don’t save it all
- Five handy tips to bear in mind before investing in stocks
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- A cool Dubai penthouse treat at 1,000 feet, yours for Dh25 million
- In pictures: Penthouse flat is height of Dubai luxury living
- Emirates Airline to take Dh1 billion hit during Dubai airport runway upgrade
- Abu Dhabi-owned Mubadala triples profit in 2013 to Dh1.5 billion
- In pictures: Hot cars at New York International Auto Show
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- History shines light on the true borders of Palestine
- Reduce speed limit buffer on UAE roads, experts urge
- American ‘has UAE Embassy documents’ to back up medicinal marijuana claim
- Nakheel to sell plots for hotels and resorts on Dubai’s Deira Islands
- UAE’s healthcare system must grant equitable access to all
In pictures: Where Dubai rents have risen and fallen, Q1 2014
Find out how rental prices in the prime locations in Dubai have altered during the first three months of the year and the current rates you will pay according to data provided by Asteco.
In pictures: Penthouse flat is height of Dubai luxury living
A five-bedroom penthouse in Ocean Heights in Dubai Marina is on sale for Dh25 million and comes with a private pool and an unparalleled view of Dubai.
In pictures: Best business images for the week to April 17, 2014
Here are some of the best business images for the week to April 17, 2014.
In pictures: Shopper’s delight at Crawford Market in Mumbai
Crawford Market is an old British-style covered market dealing in just about every kind of fresh food and domestic animal imaginable. Later on renamed Mahatma Jotirao Phule, the market remains popular among locals and visitors by its old name, taken from Arthur Crawford who was the first municipal commissioner of the city.
April corporate and economic calendar for the UAE and overseas
From Cityscape to Wetex to stock-market holidays to nations reporting first-quarter GDP figures, here is our helpful calendar of April's business events in the UAE and internationally.
Rates report: Latest on UAE loans, accounts and credit cards
Souqamal.com brings you the latest interest rates on banking products in the UAE.