Art 14: opens tonight
Anna Seaman | February 27, 2014
A handful of galleries from Dubai including Artspace, Alif Gallery, Art Sawa and Jamm will be participating in Art 14 in London, which opens tonight.
The fair, now in its second edition, is a global platform for contemporary art galleries all over the world. It features 180 galleries from 42 different countries and as well as the UAE contingent it also features Janine Rubeiz and Art on 56th from Beirut and Athr Gallery from Jeddah.
Mohammed Kazem, the artist whose solo show represented the UAE at the Venice Biennale last year, will have his works displayed at the Taymour Grahne gallery space from New York and Park Gallery from London will show the work of Hanaa Mallalah, one of Iraq’s leading and most innovative contemporary artists.
Stephanie Dieckvoss the fair director said: "The fair is growing organically so visitors and collectors will have a more comprehensive experience in discovering works of art from around the globe. We continue to have a strong presence from Asia with leading galleries such as Pearl Lam Galleries and Hakgojae Gallery returning. Other newcomers hail from the four corners of the world, including Triumph Gallery from Moscow, Galería Habana from Havana and Omenka Gallery from Lagos.”
Pictured here is a piece from the four year survey show from Yemeni-American artist Ibi Ibrahim. His work captures portraits of men and women contesting a traditionally Islamic space.
* Art14, sponsored by Citi Private Bank, runs at Olympia’s Grand Hall in London, from 28 February – 2 March. For more info visit: www.artfairslondon.com
- My UAE: The television presenter Myriam Al Dhaheri’s artistic bent
- Painted truths: how the Victorian polymath William Morris anticipated the concerns of our times
- Gibson art guitars sold for peace charity - in pictures
- Life in a war zone seen through the eyes of a child
- Abu Dhabi Art reveals 2014 line-up
- Handicrafts Festival in Al Ain to display Emirati heritage