YouTube to host first Music Awards in November
Afshan Ahmed | October 1, 2013
LOIC VENANCE STF
Nominations for the awards will be based on the videos watched and shared by YouTubers over the past year. The winners themselves will be determined by the number of views and social shares by viewers. Nominees will be announced on October 17th, two and a half weeks before the awards take place on November 3rd.
Although the event is unlikely to displace the MTV VMAs as the pop spectacle of the year, YouTube is looking to cement its position as the destination for online video. "We're setting out to create a night that's all about making things and creativity in the spirit of everyone that uses YouTube," says creative director Spike Jonze. "As well as giving out awards, we'll be making live music videos. The whole night should feel like a YouTube video itself."
- Five things to do today: enjoy the sumptuous iftar at Waldorf Astoria Palm Jumeirah’s Mezzerie
- Cookapp looks beyond restaurants to connect chefs with diners
- Tommy Ramone of punk band Ramones dies
- Wanted: your stories of UAE’s World Cup moments for Image Nation documentary
- Observing Life: The truth about how food looks, what you get and how it tastes
- Stellar staycation packages, starting with Dubai’s Ottoman-inspired Jumeirah Zabeel Saray hotel