YouTube to host first Music Awards in November
Afshan Ahmed | October 1, 2013
LOIC VENANCE STF
Nominations for the awards will be based on the videos watched and shared by YouTubers over the past year. The winners themselves will be determined by the number of views and social shares by viewers. Nominees will be announced on October 17th, two and a half weeks before the awards take place on November 3rd.
Although the event is unlikely to displace the MTV VMAs as the pop spectacle of the year, YouTube is looking to cement its position as the destination for online video. "We're setting out to create a night that's all about making things and creativity in the spirit of everyone that uses YouTube," says creative director Spike Jonze. "As well as giving out awards, we'll be making live music videos. The whole night should feel like a YouTube video itself."
- A Long Way Home tells of Saroo Brierley’s 25-year quest to find the mother he was separated from
- Sharjah March Meeting this weekend
- Album review: Pharrell Williams – GIRLS
- Fast & Furious’s Don Omar talks about the late Paul Walker
- Album review: Metronomy – Love Letters
- Album review: Lea Michele – Louder