Writing Tips by Jeffery Deaver
Saeed Saeed | June 19, 2013
The blockbuster author of the upcoming Kill Room gives aspiring writers a few quick tips on penning that first novel.
Don’t decide that you can make a great living or be rich writing about boy wizards in boarding schools in England if you haven’t read or have no interest in Harry Potter. If you naturally read science fiction for pleasure, then you should write science fiction.
Structure what you are going to write ahead of time. Remember Ernest Hemmingway’s dictum: there is no great writers but there are great re-writers. Your first draft is only halfway to the finished book.
You must remember that rejection is a speed-bump and not a brick wall.
Read, read, read, read.
The Kill Room is out tomorrow.
- Everybody loves Breanna: catching up with the pre-school princess of social media moving to Dubai
- In pictures: Social media sensation Breanna Youn
- In the TV queen’s court
- MY UAE: Suhail Matar’s summer story
- The women’s Majlis: The journey of my passion
- Ask Ali: It is easy to give your house an ‘Emirati’ feel