Writing Tips by Jeffery Deaver
Saeed Saeed | June 19, 2013
The blockbuster author of the upcoming Kill Room gives aspiring writers a few quick tips on penning that first novel.
Don’t decide that you can make a great living or be rich writing about boy wizards in boarding schools in England if you haven’t read or have no interest in Harry Potter. If you naturally read science fiction for pleasure, then you should write science fiction.
Structure what you are going to write ahead of time. Remember Ernest Hemmingway’s dictum: there is no great writers but there are great re-writers. Your first draft is only halfway to the finished book.
You must remember that rejection is a speed-bump and not a brick wall.
Read, read, read, read.
The Kill Room is out tomorrow.
- Five things to do today: try out Asian food at Japengo Club and visit the lemurs at Al Ain Zoo
- Desi girl: Henna’s cultural, commercial and wishful connotations
- Döner & Gyros sandwich shop to open in Dubai
- Abood and the Freej ladies series are coming to Emirates Palace
- Album review: Common – Nobody’s Smiling
- The cast of Al Ikhwa talks about their filming experience in Abu Dhabi