Writing Tips by Jeffery Deaver
Saeed Saeed | June 19, 2013
The blockbuster author of the upcoming Kill Room gives aspiring writers a few quick tips on penning that first novel.
Don’t decide that you can make a great living or be rich writing about boy wizards in boarding schools in England if you haven’t read or have no interest in Harry Potter. If you naturally read science fiction for pleasure, then you should write science fiction.
Structure what you are going to write ahead of time. Remember Ernest Hemmingway’s dictum: there is no great writers but there are great re-writers. Your first draft is only halfway to the finished book.
You must remember that rejection is a speed-bump and not a brick wall.
Read, read, read, read.
The Kill Room is out tomorrow.
- Five things to do today: enjoy iftar at The One Jumeirah Deli and donate clothes in exchange for free entry into Wild Wadi Water Park
- In pictures: Beyonce and Jay Z launch worldwide tour
- Cake Boss shaken but not deterred after being stranded in fog
- Tracy Morgan files lawsuit against Wal-Mart
- Art summer series: Palestinian artist Hazem Harb leads nomadic existence
- In pictures: Chester Beatty’s A to Z in Dublin