We're off to see the wizard...
Alex Ritman | July 24, 2012
Many moons ago (ok, about a year and half) we published a story about the numerous Wizard of Oz films that would be flying our way – on the backs of flying monkeys, naturally – at some time in the near future. Well, we’ve just seen some pictures from one of the bigger productions, Oz the Great and Powerful, and they’re rather good.
Due out March next year, OTGAP (not sure if they’ve adopted this acronym but let’s get the ball rolling) is set before the antics of Dorothy’s sparkling ruby slipper or annoyingly inquisitive dog, and focuses on how a “small-time circus magician with dubious ethics” (played by James Franco) became the big wizard with the booming voice in the Emerald City.
Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams also star as three witches, one who may or may not eventually turn green and grow winged chimps and another who may or may not have a house fall on their heads.
- Abu Dhabi Film Festival 2014: award-winning Cannes director wants to meet regional filmmakers; The worst football team in the world; Nujoom Al Ganem wants international audience; Magical Girl is not for the fainthearted
- Mansour and the Superheroes to take to the ice this winter
- Abu Dhabi Film Festival 2014: Festival volunteer turns star; how to get Johnny Knoxville into your short film; From A to B sells out
- ADFF buzz: Celebrities and Cuban rhythms at Emirates Palaces opening night party
- ADFF buzz: Stylish crowd celebrates opening night in Emirates Palace’s graceful garden
- Of Many is an inspiring movie that shows religious tolerance in practice
- Celebrating unity: a UAE-made documentary on religious understanding is making waves in the wider world
- Super Lochal: giving birth to a film superheroine in Abu Dhabi
- Bowls, plates and tulips: artists remember Iran’s stolen youth
- 5 things to do today: visit a exhibition and relax at ESPA
- Emirates Opera Project prepares to launch its new season