We're off to see the wizard...
Alex Ritman | July 24, 2012
Many moons ago (ok, about a year and half) we published a story about the numerous Wizard of Oz films that would be flying our way – on the backs of flying monkeys, naturally – at some time in the near future. Well, we’ve just seen some pictures from one of the bigger productions, Oz the Great and Powerful, and they’re rather good.
Due out March next year, OTGAP (not sure if they’ve adopted this acronym but let’s get the ball rolling) is set before the antics of Dorothy’s sparkling ruby slipper or annoyingly inquisitive dog, and focuses on how a “small-time circus magician with dubious ethics” (played by James Franco) became the big wizard with the booming voice in the Emerald City.
Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams also star as three witches, one who may or may not eventually turn green and grow winged chimps and another who may or may not have a house fall on their heads.
- Humans of Dubai, a spin-off of Humans of New York, tells the stories of the people in the city
- ArtInternational’s Emirati director Dyala Nusseibeh on growing the Istanbul art scene
- Film review: Khoobsurat is a flawlessly good-looking remake with plenty of laughs
- Bolly’s crossing borders: how Indian cinema has found an audience in Colombia
- The new Aga Khan Museum in Toronto is an oasis of calm and reflection
- Singer Keyshia Cole arrested on suspicion of assault