US Embassy boosts UAE relations through music
Mai El Shoush | September 23, 2012
As part of a mission to promote US-UAE mutual understanding, the award-winning Trio Chicago & Friends will be performing in the Emirates this week. A special invite-only performance will also be hosted by the US Ambassador to the UAE, Michael H Corbin, today during An Evening of American Music to also mark the Embassy's new season of programmes.
The five-member group, specialising in jazz, blues, American folk and classics, will travel to various locations as part of a cultural outreach tour sponsored by the Public Affairs Section of the U.S Embassy in Abu Dhabi.
Since the mid 1990s, Trio Chicago & Friends have promoted cultural understanding through music and discussions around the world, for which they received wide recognition including a letter of appreciation and support from the US president Barack Obama while he was a US senator, in 2006.
The UAE tour will also include performances in the Capital's New York and Zayed Universities, and in Fujairah, Ras Al Khaimah and The Western Region, until Thursday.
- Indie filmmaker Desiree Akhavan is riding high on a wave of unexpected success
- Ask Ali: Muslim prayer headgear and proper greetings in Arabic
- Amitabh Bachchan hits Dubai for film premiere
- What female police officers in the UAE think of their abilities
- Rapper 50 cent ordered to pay in headphone case
- War is a friend only to the undertaker? Historian Ian Morris thinks war has been good for humanity