Training like the cavemen
Hugo Berger | July 29, 2012
While you may have thought our prehistoric ancestors' lives were nasty, brutish and short, in actuality your average caveman was probably exceedingly fit.
All that fresh air, chasing their quarry, and a KFC and Twix-free diet meant they were in prime condition. That was until a sabre-toothed tiger got them.
With this in mind, Haddins Gym at Zayed Sports City has been hosting a Primal Fitness course this month, which involves exercising using the kind of activities cavemen would do. So, participants are pushed to breaking point by picking things up, carrying them, dragging, pushing, pulling, climbing and more.
This is combined with a paleo diet programme, where you're banned from eating any food unavailable in ancient times - basically anything but meat, vegetables, fruit and nuts.
This photo shows a particularly arduous challenge, lifting a giant truck tyre - supposedly representing a buffalo we'd hunted down and now were tasked with carrying it back to our cave - on a 3km route around the sports stadium.
A full report on the sessions will be coming in The National soon.
Dine with Bigg Boss 7 winner Gauahar Khan in Dubai
- Ladies night every Thursday at Yas Waterworld
- Brand New Heavies to play Barasti
- Lloyd, Bobby V and Jeremih and Neverdogs to perform live at Atelier M official launch party
- Hannah Montana actor Jason Earles shares acting tips with pupils at GEMS schools
- Video: Winfrey announces speaking tour, Crowe premieres ‘Noah’
- Thirty minutes of ‘Spider-Man 2’ shown at CinemaCon
- Snooki’s New Jersey wedding might be aired on MTV
- Ask Ali: explaining mandi and visiting Mecca
- Bollywood comedian Vir Das to debut History of India – VIRitten in Dubai
- Miloš Karadaglic makes magic during Abu Dhabi Festival debut