The YCA: Five of the best
Anna Seaman | September 15, 2013
With Ayyam Gallery's Young Collectors Auction presenting almost 80 works priced between $1,000 and $15,000 we present five of the best lots, as chosen by us.
Lot 11. In Transit by Abdulnasser Gharem
Abdulnasser is the highest selling living Gulf artist and one of the most important Saudi artists. He is represented by Ayyam Gallery and this limited edition handprinted silkscreen print with white diamond dust on Somerset Tub paper is from his new collection.
Lot 52. Untitled by Mehdi Nabavi
The mirror-covered tank in the centre of the room is bound to draw a lot of attention at the auction. Nabavi is an emerging artist from Iran who takes the ancient Persian tradition of mirror mosaic and imposes it on objects of violence such as bombs and in this case a tank
Lot 59. Itís Time by Lara Zankoul
Zankoul was awarded in the Shabab Ayyam Photography Competition in Beirut in 2011 and had her first solo in Ayyam Beirut this year. Her images are whimsical and playful and push against the boundaries of reality
Lot 45. Freedom Graffiti by Tamman Azzam
When Azzam produced this image last year it went viral and caused a huge stir on the internet. The superimposition of Gustav Klimtís The Kiss onto a bombed out building, reflects the horrific violence in Syria at the moment and was an image many people could relate to
Lot 20. Red Earth Green Sky by Samia Halaby
A renowned Palestinian painter and scholar, Halaby was a professor at the Yale School of Art for 10 years and although she remains based in New York she is recognised as the major innovator for abstraction in contemporary Arab art. This piece and one other were created especially for the auction and provide a great opportunity for someone to get their hands on a piece of seminal art from the region.
- Abu Dhabi Film Festival 2014: award-winning Cannes director wants to meet regional filmmakers; The worst football team in the world; Nujoom Al Ganem wants international audience; Magical Girl is not for the fainthearted
- Mansour and the Superheroes to take to the ice this winter
- Abu Dhabi Film Festival 2014: Festival volunteer turns star; how to get Johnny Knoxville into your short film; From A to B sells out
- ADFF buzz: Celebrities and Cuban rhythms at Emirates Palaces opening night party
- ADFF buzz: Stylish crowd celebrates opening night in Emirates Palace’s graceful garden
- Of Many is an inspiring movie that shows religious tolerance in practice
- Celebrating unity: a UAE-made documentary on religious understanding is making waves in the wider world
- Super Lochal: giving birth to a film superheroine in Abu Dhabi
- Bowls, plates and tulips: artists remember Iran’s stolen youth
- 5 things to do today: visit a exhibition and relax at ESPA
- Emirates Opera Project prepares to launch its new season