Performance to celebrate Giuseppe Verdi Bicentennial in Dubai
Afshan Ahmed | September 17, 2013
The Emirates Opera Project and Al Sharq Orchestra will lead a performance to celebrate the 200th year of the birth of Italian composer Giuseppe Verdi, next month. Montegrappa, which makes luxury writing instruments, has organised a one-night gala dinner and concert to mark the bicentennial of the composer on October 10 at Raffles Hotel, Wafi City.
The romantic composer is well-known for his operas, often recreated on stage today. Verdi explored themes of popular culture, making him one of the most influential composers of the 19th century. Some of his composition include Rigoletto, Alda, Don Carlo and opera’s based on Shakespeare’s Othello and Macbeth. Several recordings, broadcasts and performances of the Italian maestro have been created in New York, Sydney, Milan and Zurich this year.
The Emirates Opera Project and Al Sharq Orchestra, which will be led by Mohamad Hamami and conducted by Martyn Bagnall will perform selections and scenes including ‘La donna è mobile’ from Rigoletto, ‘Libiamo ne' lieti calici’ from La Traviata, ‘Va, pensiero’ from Nabucco and the ‘Grand March’ from Aida.
“Verdi is undisputedly the patriarch of Italian music with an unmatched ability to stage great human passions, deliver compelling stories and dramatic coups” says Giuseppe Aquila, the chief executive of Montegrappa Italia. “His opera has always been closest to my heart, and it’s such a joy to see it discovered and appreciated by new generations.” The company has also created a special edition tribute pen dedicated to one of his most famous works ‘Rigoletto’, which will be released in October.
The one-night-only gala dinner and concert takes place on Thursday, October 10 at 7:30pm in The Ballroom at Raffles, Wafi City.
To book a seat visit montegrappa.me/verdi/. Tickets start at Dh500. For bookings, call 050-9280085.
Dine with Bigg Boss 7 winner Gauahar Khan in Dubai
- Brand New Heavies to play Barasti
- Ladies night every Thursday at Yas Waterworld
- Lloyd, Bobby V and Jeremih and Neverdogs to perform live at Atelier M official launch party
- Indian choreographer Raghav Juyal to perform at Abu Dhabi Electronics Shopper
- Video: Winfrey announces speaking tour, Crowe premieres ‘Noah’
- Thirty minutes of ‘Spider-Man 2’ shown at CinemaCon
- Snooki’s New Jersey wedding might be aired on MTV
- Ask Ali: explaining mandi and visiting Mecca
- Bollywood comedian Vir Das to debut History of India – VIRitten in Dubai
- Miloš Karadaglic makes magic during Abu Dhabi Festival debut