New York Fashion Week Day 4 - Carolina Herrera
Gemma Champ | September 11, 2012
Richard Drew STF
Our daily update straight from our favourite fashion blogger at New York fashion week.
Pale and interesting[gallery link="file" orderby="rand"]
It was a fresh, refined start to Monday, as Carolina Herrera presented her audience (among whom were perennial fans Ivanka Trump and a white-suited Bianca Jagger) with a collection that was all about pared-back modernity.
An art deco swirl motif was used on belts and embellishments over simple drapey crepe frocks in icing blue, white, black and stone, and the colours in some outfits evoked a sunset over water: pale lavender grey or blue accented with coral orange and pink. More graphic pieces appeared too, with a slash of red or electric orange in the form of gazar dresses, lace blouses and skinny belts.
Naturally, Herrera’s eveningwear was sumptuous, but more understated than usual. Particularly lovely were a full silk cream skirt panelled with neon orange and a painterly print, and the delicately pretty pale pink dress worn by Karlie Kloss to close the show, lightly embellished at the neckline and cuffs in silver and coral.
Later, Carlos Miele showed a sassy collection of animal prints in silk and chiffon, including a vibrant tiger print used on bias-cut dresses and blouses, blue leopard print and black and white snow-leopard.
Subtle it was not, but the Brazilian designer knows how to ramp up the va-va-voom factor, and those for whom the season’s graphic designs and washy colours are a turn-off might well find some powerful glamour by prowling this collection.
- Abu Dhabi Film Festival 2014: award-winning Cannes director wants to meet regional filmmakers; The worst football team in the world; Nujoom Al Ganem wants international audience; Magical Girl is not for the fainthearted
- Mansour and the Superheroes to take to the ice this winter
- Abu Dhabi Film Festival 2014: Festival volunteer turns star; how to get Johnny Knoxville into your short film; From A to B sells out
- ADFF buzz: Celebrities and Cuban rhythms at Emirates Palaces opening night party
- ADFF buzz: Stylish crowd celebrates opening night in Emirates Palace’s graceful garden
- Of Many is an inspiring movie that shows religious tolerance in practice
- Celebrating unity: a UAE-made documentary on religious understanding is making waves in the wider world
- Super Lochal: giving birth to a film superheroine in Abu Dhabi
- Bowls, plates and tulips: artists remember Iran’s stolen youth
- 5 things to do today: visit a exhibition and relax at ESPA
- Emirates Opera Project prepares to launch its new season