Irish musician Bob Geldof to ride Dubai Metro on March 14
Afshan Ahmed | March 1, 2014
BRITTA PEDERSEN Z5466/
Keep an eye out for a music legend in the hustle-bustle of the Dubai Metro station next week. You may be taking the train with Bob Geldof on March 14.
The Irish musician will be taking a short trip on the Dubai Metro before his live concert to celebrate St Patricks Day at Irish Village on Friday.
The concert has been organised by Transguard Group. Geldof will be reviewing some of Transguard’s CSR initiatives and meeting some local businessmen and evaluating some other local initiatives, organisers said.
“This is my eighth visit to Dubai and I haven’t had the chance to ride the Metro yet,” said Geldof.
“But I plan to put that right this time. It is not only a Middle East first, it is a great achievement for this part of the world, given its petrodollar wealth.
“Many in the West might question, why bother when petrol is less than half of that at the petrol pumps in the UK? Well in my opinion it boils down to environmental responsibility and sustainable urban planning, something Dubai should be congratulated for.”
Geldof, who is the lead singer of Boomtown Rats, will be performing a selection of his solo-singles and the band’s classics.
While in town, the singer will also visit the Al Manzil special needs centre and will donate two guitars to local fans through competitions.
Tickets for the concert start from Dh75 and are available on timeouttickets.com
- Abu Dhabi F1: Exclusive Take 5 with Estelle
- Mixtape Rewind headliner Peter Andre comes off as a natural entertainer in Dubai show
- A chat with Salma Hayek and the creative minds behind Kahlil Gibran’s The Prophet ahead of its Middle East debut
- Dan Stevens talks films, his decision to quit Downton Abbey and supporting children’s charity Sentebale
- Jason Derulo makes triumphant UAE return at Beats on The Beach
- Happy New Year in Marrakech